Chapter 11: Hide and Seek

After our movie finished we all sat around the fire pit outside. I liked how private Leo's property was, and how you could see the stars in the night sky. It was impossible to see them in the city unless there was a blackout. I kept my arms crossed as I shivered, Leo draping a blanket over me, which made me smile and blush at the same time. Tobey was a fair distance on the other side of us, already nearly asleep. His head was laying against the back of the outdoor couch, him already wrapped up in a soft blanket.

"I really enjoyed the movie," I spoke up, since it had been awhile that anyone said a word.

"Yeah, it's really good," Leo simply agreed, just staring into the dancing flames. He kept casually biting his nails as he seemed to be lost in thought.

"It seems like we're always falling asleep after a movie," I slightly laughed, but I hadn't captured his attention. I stood up with the cozy fabric secured around my shoulders, stepping into the house for a bit. Sometimes being with Leo was almost overwhelming. I enjoyed his company beyond words, but my heart would race so much. I became comfortable on the sofa in the main living room, wondering if he would even miss me. He had seemed more distracted than usual. I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to go home soon, or if Tobey would eventually leave. I faintly heard the sound of a door opening and closing, footsteps coming afterwards.

"Hey, you okay," I heard a familiar voice ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just needed a moment by myself. And it's getting really cold out there too."

"Yeah, I might have to wake up Tobey, so I can put the fire out. I don't know how much it's helping anymore."

"Are you okay," I asked him as he took the empty spot beside me.

"Yeah. Why?" He looked over at me as I felt the blood rush to my cheeks.

"You just seemed distracted. Do you want me to leave?"

"No, you can stay all night if you want. I don't really want you to go," he said softer on the end.

"I think I'll take you up on your offer. I don't feel like going all the way back to my apartment. It can get lonely there." My gaze fell to the floor as I saw he had done the same from my side vision.

"Sometimes it gets lonely here too. You want anything to eat or anything?"

"No, I just want to get comfortable here," I admitted, curling up into a ball on the cushions.

"Alright," he softly chuckled. "I'll just go get Tobey."

It wasn't long before his best friend was traveling through the halls like a zombie. I think he went directly to the guest bedroom.

"You want to play hide and seek in the dark," Leo playfully asked me.

"What? What made you want to play that?" I sat up as I smiled over at him in amusement.

"It's just something I used to play around Halloween as a kid. I thought it could be fun to play it with you."

"We should wait to play it with Tobey sometime. I mean, we might wake him up."

"Nah, these rooms are well insulated. Sound doesn't go through them that bad."

"I still think we should at least take it upstairs," I shared.

"Yeah, and then we can dance all over Tobey's head," Leo sarcastically replied, causing me to giggle.

"Tag, you're it," I whispered, feeling the sparks when I touched his shoulder. I then ran off with no warning, my sock covered feet thudding across the hard wood flooring. I squealed when Leo tapped my collarbone when I got cornered by a big plant. It was then my turn to catch up to him, watching as he went straight up the stairs. I hurried after him, pausing when I reached the darkened hallway. I could feel my heart beating against my ribcage as I grew scared. I didn't like how quiet it was and how I couldn't see a thing. "Leo," I cautiously questioned, going further into the lack of light. I hated how there were multiple doorways, getting shivers from the open ones. My mind kept imagining scary images, and I freaked out when I thought I saw something move. "Oh," I cried out when I fell to my knees from seeing a definite outline of a person. I literally felt like Snow White in the classic Disney movie, feeling terrified and stupid as I stayed on the ground like that.

"Are you okay, Wendy," I heard Leo gently ask.

"I think this game is too scary for me," I confessed, chancing to look up at him as I forced a smile. My eyes were barely adjusted to the close to pitch black area.

"Fuck, I'm sorry. I didn't meant to scare you like that. I just figured you would know it was me. I mean, Tobey's the only other person in this house."

"I know, but it's just so dark, and I'm not fully used to being here, and my mind was playing tricks on me. I guess I got paralyzed by stupid fear."

"It wasn't stupid. Here, I'll go turn on the hall light, okay?"

I felt full relief when the walls were bright and only the various rooms were still in the shadows.

"Is that better," Leo kindly asked, helping me up.

"Yeah," I nodded, instinctively giving him a hug as he held me close. I fell in love with the feeling of his warm hands and how they were beginning to rub my back. I adored the softness of his shirt, and how I could feel the shape of his body beneath it. I stood on my tip toes as I yearned to be closer to his shoulder. I reluctantly let go too soon though, worried it would get weird for him if I kept holding on. "So, what should we do now?" I couldn't help but keep my line of sight on the rug beneath us.

"Get some sleep," he lowly chuckled. I couldn't argue, going into the bathroom to wash my face and put some lotion on it. "You can use any of my products. I have some face lotion," Leo told me.

I closed my eyes as I breathed in the scent of his lotion once he left. It was heavenly with traces of aloe and other ingredients. It seemed very natural and healthy, and it instantly made my skin feel amazing. I drowsily headed for the guest room, frowning at how the bed seem higher than the last time I stayed, but I shrugged it off. Once I got settled beneath the thick covers, my eyes shot open when I felt the mattress sagging.

"Hey," Leo greeted, causing my heart to freak out. I instantly leaned my back against my pillow, looking over at him.

"What are you doing in here," I calmly wondered.

"This is my room," he quietly chuckled.

I wanted to slap myself when I realized I had gone into the wrong bedroom.

"I'll just leave. I'm so sorry," I profusely apologized, but his next words stopped me.

"You can stay, Wendy. I want you to stay in here with me. I don't like being upstairs all by myself."

"You could move your bedroom to downstairs," I pointed out.

"Yeah, but I have the best view of the yard from in here. I like getting up sometimes in the middle of the night and just looking at all of it."

"I think I might go and look at it right now, if that's okay."

"Yeah, go ahead," he responded, allowing me to pad over to the grand window. I felt my breath being taken away at the expanse of stars, the moon, the grass paled beneath it all. I think my favorite part was the mountains in the distance, creating the perfect landscape. I could feel Leo's presence beside me as we stared at the view together.

"Are you still seeing Chanel," I randomly asked. I didn't mean for it to slip out, but my mind was busy, and then I recalled the dates they had planned before Leo disappeared on me.

"Yeah, we just went out last weekend."

"Do you still like her? Do you think you'll keep seeing her?" He looked over at me as I feared my questions were too much. "I was just trying to make conversation," I partly lied.

"Yeah, we've made plans again for this weekend. Are you seeing anyone?"

"Not at the moment. I'm usually too busy working on music, and I don't like going to crowded clubs or parties."

He faintly nodded as our gazes fixated on the lawn that appeared grey at night. "I'm glad we're friends, Wendy." His ocean eyes were cautiously turned in my direction as I nodded once.

"Yeah, I'm glad we're friends too."

I was puzzled when he delicately took my hand in his, squeezing it before going on his way to the bed. I wasn't sure if I should hold onto the hope he would change, but I don't think my heart would stop doing that.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I enjoy writing the more cozy, at home chapters. Lol. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3