XIII

Chapter Thirteen: Little Girl

"I'm not okay at all...!"

Free, they were, those tears, those emotions; that inner child you hid.

Fear was no longer in control, you were in control.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eclipsed by darkness with only the dim lampose to shine upon, the moon was barely there that night; hidden behind the clouds just like your emotions you fought to hide. This was a cry for help, one Yuuji had been afraid of and waiting for; both yearning and terrified of, simultaneously.

His brows stitched together almost immediately and his mouth was agape; suddenly forgetting all the words he had always wanted to say to you.

"Y/N..." he whispered, his voice cracking just a little as he dropped down onto the jagged grass to wrap you around his arms, "I'm so sorry."

Yuuji was lost for words and he could only feel immense guilt eating him up from inside; why didn't he reach out to you earlier? Why did he not stop to think that so much had happened? He knew he was the closest person you could call family and yet he just allowed you to wallow in your fear while he did nothing.

He wasn't the only one going through all this, you were here too, suffering twice as much as he did.

You were always so strong, so ready to bear the pain and hold up the brightest grin on your face just so you could bring comfort to him.

Maybe you told yourself that you were just pretending to be strong so you wouldn't be seen as weak, but to Yuuji, he saw a brave and selfless person who was willing to stay strong despite being on the verge of crumbling down.

"I'm so sorry for taking advantage of your strength...!" Yuuji admitted, holding you close as you cried onto his shoulder. You shook your head fast, disagreeing with his words. The last thing that you wanted to do was to make your best friend feel guilty when you were just messed up on the inside.

You had too many problems in you that were left unresolved, causing them to lead up to this breaking point.

Yuuji could not say anything, he was never good with words, but he was good at being there for you. He patted your back gently, drawing lines down your back only to lift his hand back to where he started, "I'm sorry,Y/N, I didn't say anything earlier but I should've, I really should've!" he cried.

The moonlight was dim and the air was humid, you trembled in his arms as the night air swayed around you, a sticky feeling stuck to the sides of your face as you continued to cry endlessly.

"I wish I was stronger, Yuuji."

"I wish I hated my family more, I wish that I didn't need them at all, but like a weakling, I seek that stupid approval of theirs! There's something wrong with me, I swear and I don't know how to get rid of it!" you whimpered, unloading your raw emotions and laying them bare.

Yuuji flicked his gaze towards you, still holding you tight, "There's nothing wrong with you. It's normal to feel this way, especially after everything that you've been through."

"And I'm here for you; for whenever you're tired of being strong, for whenever you wanna cry your eyes dry, I'll be here for you, I promise."

I don't deserve this, you thought to yourself.

Afterall, how could you? You were the unwanted daughter of a prestigious clan, you were the weak. You were a failure that did not deserve any of the kindness Yuuji was offering, but here he was, holding you like you were a lost treasure that he was lucky enough to find.