Chapter 20

"M-Mom...?" Ruby repeated, voice trembling as tears ran down her face.

Summer dropped the rifle, revealing it to also be an axe, on the table she was stood by, and rushed over to hold the daughter she hadn't seen in, she didn't even know how long.

Weiss just stood off to the side, giving Ruby and her mother their moment while wondering how Summer was even here, also a little more importantly (in her opinion) what Tyrian had been talking about.

"Sorry to interrupt," Weiss said. "But didn't you mention your husband?"

Summer pulled back, but didn't let go of Ruby.

"Dad's here too?" Ruby sniffled.

Summer nodded, warm silver smiling at Ruby, then turning to Weiss, though most of the love faded for the girl she didn't know, but owed a great deal to.

"I think he went to deal with the faunus." Summer admitted.

"Right," Weiss ducked her head. "M-Mrs... Rose?"

Summer nodded, confirming it was okay to call her that.

"Do you know what Tyrian was talking about?" Weiss asked, referring to when he'd called her a vampire.

Summer's brow creased in confusion.

"You weren't told?" she asked, turning back to Ruby.

Ruby just looked down in shame.

"No?" Weiss admitted, just as confused, if not more.

Summer stepped closer to the Atlesian, looking her over until she found a bite mark on her shoulder, under her coat where her neck and shoulder met, just out of sight unless, like Summer, you were looking for it.

"Oh," Summer turned back to her daughter with a stern look. "Ruby?"

Ruby bit her lip. "It was, um... almost a week ago."

Summer nodded for her to continue.

"Yang and Blake were talking outside, and Weiss was asleep." Ruby couldn't look at either of them. "I don't know what happened, I just..."

Ruby turned away, Weiss catching a glimpse of tears.

"Blake got killed during a fight, and Yang turned her," Ruby eyed her mother for a moment. "It reminded me of when Yang was turned." she blurted.

"Oh..." Summer breathed, returning to her daughter and hugging her again. "You know not everyone thinks like you do."

Ruby just buried her tear stained face in her mother's dress. "I was selfish back then, and I still am now." she admitted. "I didn't want Weiss feeling left out."

Weiss' eyes widened in shock, and suddenly things started making sense, she was a vampire due to Ruby's childhood fear of being left out.

She'd read once about how people's Semblances change slightly when they become vampires, and glyphs were just summoning dead Grimm, only purified, she could resurrect the dead!

Weiss reached for the chair she'd been sat in, trying desperately to wrap her head around everything while Summer asked if she was alright.

Okay, Blake died, Ruby and Yang are vampires, Yang turned Blake into a vampire, then Ruby turned me into a vampire, and I brought Ruby and Yang's parents back!

Weiss took a deep breath and nodded to Summer and Ruby, both now stood in front of her.

"It's just... a lot to take in." Weiss admitted, rubbing her forehead as she felt the start of a headache.

Summer nodded in understanding, while Ruby just looked away, worry replaced with guilt.

"That's understandable, take as long as you need." Summer smiled warmly.

"I didn't even know... vampires could bring others back to life?" Weiss asked rhetorically, despite the woman before her being (as close as vampires could get) living proof.

Summer smiled and offered Weiss a hand back up. "I'm here, aren't I?"

Weiss just stared at Summer's hand and slowly nodded, quietly taking it, feeling like it was an offer into the vampire world, or just taking her father's place.

Only this time, unlike her father, she'd do it right.