Chapter 7

Weiss watched the two leave quietly, then listened to Ruby as she started her homework.

"Ruby?" Weiss asked.

"Hm?"

"You told me once you could turn into a wolf, could you show me?" Weiss asked hesitantly.

Ruby didn't say anything, and after a moment, Weiss thought Ruby was refusing, until something soft and warm nudged her hand.

Weiss turned and was surprised to see a silver wolf staring up at her.

Weiss jumped back, almost knocking her chair over, and watched as the wolf caught it and nudged it back into place.

"R-Ruby?" Weiss asked nervously.

The wolf, Ruby, stepped forward and nudged her hand again, like a cat asking for attention.

Weiss stared at her curiously for a moment, then smiled and scratched her partner's silky, shiny fur.

After a while, Ruby turned back and flopped down on Weiss' bed, letting out a content sigh.

"How do you do that?" Weiss asked, sitting down next to her.

Ruby's eyes opened, and Weiss realised they were the same color as her fur.

"Did you hear what Yang said before, about our parents?" Ruby asked.

Weiss nodded.

"Yang's mom and my dad were raised in a bandit tribe in Mistral." Ruby explained.

"Bandit tribe?!" Weiss repeated in shock.

Ruby nodded with a smile.

"They were going to be the next leaders, but after gaining their spirit animals they didn't want to anymore, so they ran away and applied to Beacon."

"Spirit animals..." Weiss murmured.

"They taught us when we were old enough," Ruby continued.

Weiss smiled at her, imagining a younger Ruby turning into a wolf.

"I'd like to turn into a fox." Weiss admitted.

Ruby blinked. "I thought you'd pick a bird like Yang."

"No, foxes are nimble and beautiful." Weiss said softly.

Ruby smiled back.

"What do you think Blake would pick?" Weiss asked.

Ruby stared at her in confusion.

"A cat, obviously." Ruby answered.

"'Obviously?'" Weiss repeated in equal confusion.

"Blake's a cat faunus, I thought you knew." Ruby admitted.

"No," Weiss said, looking annoyed. "Does Yang know as well?"

"Yang saw her ears, and I thought her bow looked like cat ears." Ruby said. Not quite a lie...

Weiss relaxed in relief, realising it was how things ended up and not that everyone knew and didn't tell her.

"How did Yang manage that?" Weiss asked.

"Blake fell asleep with her bow on, and it almost fell off, Yang saw her ears when Blake was fixing it." Ruby explained.

Weiss nodded in understanding.

"And her bow looks like cat ears?!" Weiss asked incredulously.

Ruby nodded.

"I grew up around a lot of faunus." Ruby explained.

"But you were raised in Vale." Weiss pointed out.