Chapter 11

The group arrived in Patch a few hours later, Yang carrying Blake while Ruby explained everything to Weiss.

"Well, this is it." Yang announced when they arrived at the log cabin the cousins had called home for the last century.

"This is where you live?" Weiss asked, having admittedly been expecting something... older.

"Yep! Home sweet home!" Ruby declared, bounding towards the door, only to pause and stare at something sadly.

"Yang, uncle Tai's sunflowers..." she said softly, nodding to the dead flowers sat under the windows.

Yang shrugged. "I haven't tended to them since we started Beacon, I'll take care of them after I get Blake upstairs."

Ruby nodded. "Which room?"

Yang thought for a moment while Ruby opened the door and Yang went to the stairs.

"I'll put her in my room, maybe Weiss could go in Summer's?" Yang suggested, going upstairs before Ruby could respond.

Ruby blinked and glanced over at the heiress.

"Weiss, are you okay?" Ruby asked softly, her partner looked like she was about to collapse.

"I'm alright Ruby, but would you mind if I borrowed Summer's bed?" Weiss asked, she didn't know who Summer was, but the idea of sleep did sound appealing.

"Sure, come on." Ruby agreed, going upstairs with Weiss quickly following.

"Who are Tai and Summer?" Weiss couldn't help asking when they reached a long hall at the top.

"Tai, along with Raven are Yang's parents, Summer and Qrow are mine." Ruby explained.

Weiss' face fell, remembering Ruby mentioning them during initiation.

"Your parents were all... murdered here." Weiss said, voice getting quieter as she spoke. "By my great grandfather."

Ruby nodded. "It's okay Weiss, it was a long time ago."

"But you haven't moved on." Weiss stated, it was obvious from how Ruby treated her when they first met.

Ruby hummed and opened a door, not denying it.

"This was my parents room, you can use whatever you want, and the bathroom is just next door." Ruby said.

Weiss nodded her thanks.

"Are you going to sleep now?" Weiss asked, it was pretty late.

Ruby shook her head. "I don't need sleep anymore."

Weiss blinked, deciding not to say anything as she went to the dresser, figuring it was also true that vampires didn't sleep, after going through Summer's clothes, she decided on the black pajamas with silver spots.

"Do you mind staying for a while?" Weiss asked, nodding to the chair by the old vanity.

"I'll sing to you." Ruby offered with a bright smile while she dragged the chair closer to the big bed.

Weiss blushed and quickly got changed in the bathroom, then slid under the blankets.

For a bed that hadn't been used in decades it sure was warm, Weiss smiled and snuggled into the cozy bed as Ruby began to sing in what Weiss knew to be the vampires' language.

As Ruby sang, Weiss translated it in her head until she could imagine Ruby singing in the human/faunus language, and fell asleep to a song originally so sad, but made beautiful by Ruby.

----------

Yang lay Blake down on her sunshine colored blankets, staring blankly at her blood stained clothes.

"What do I do...?" Yang wondered, gaze drifting while she thought of something her dad used to say.

"You always take the easy path straight through, but if you take a look, you'll see there's a way around it too..."

Yang blinked and stared at Blake.

"Thanks dad." she breathed, smiling at the family photo she kept on her bedside along with a vase of sunflowers.

----------

A few hours later, Ruby came down to find Yang on the couch, there was a large plate of cookies on the table, Yang nibbling one with a mug of coffee.

"Hey Rubes," Yang greeted as Ruby sat next to her, reaching for a cookie.

"Save some for Weiss, and Blake if she wakes as fast as I did." Yang ordered.

Ruby nodded.

"You took five hours." Ruby reminded her.

"I know, mom said dad was within two." Yang said, smiling fondly at the memory.

Ruby shrugged and grabbed the cup of coffee Yang made for her.

"It took mom three days, Raven said that's average." Ruby said, dunking a cookie.

Yang hummed and took a long sip of her coffee.

"How long has Blake been out?" Ruby asked, reaching for another cookie.

"About four hours," Yang answered.

Ruby nodded.

"I'm gonna call Ozpin, why don't you go check on her?" she suggested, getting her scroll out.

Yang set her coffee down, shooting Ruby a smile before running back upstairs.

----------

Blake wasn't sure what happened, she was fighting Torchwick, Yang got hurt (apparently silver was bad for vampires), and got herself hurt when she went to see if Yang was okay.

Blake should've died from that attack, yet she hadn't, Yang promised she wouldn't.

"Blake?" Yang asked softly.

Blake turned, only just realising she wasn't at the construction site anymore.

"Y-Yang..." Blake tried to say, but her voice cracked and she felt like she hadn't drank anything in days.

"It's okay," Yang said, turning a lamp on somewhere in the room.

"What...?" Blake tried to ask, her voice cracking again, and she realised the pain wasn't from dehydration.

"...Happened?" Yang guessed.

Blake nodded, deciding it best to avoid talking.

"You got hit with fire dust, bled out, and I turned you." Yang answered bluntly.

Blake blinked in confusion, not sure what to say to that, then touched her throat.

Yang smiled sadly at her and picked up a mug Blake hadn't noticed on the bedside.

"What's that?" Blake coughed.

"Best not to think about it." Yang said while giving it to her. It was dark, thick, and smelt metallic.

Blake shuddered when she realised what it was, but shut her eyes tight and drained the mug, not letting herself taste it.

Yang put the mug back on the bedside and wrapped her up in a hug.

"Yang...?" Blake asked softly, feeling a lot better now.

"Sorry..." Yang mumbled.

Blake blinked in confusion. "What for?"

"You died when you only wanted to see if I was okay," Yang mumbled.

Blake felt something wet on her shoulder and realised Yang was crying.

"Don't cry, I'm okay now." Blake reassured her.

Yang pulled back, smiling despite her tear stained cheeks. "Yeah, you are."