Chapter 14

"Is this it?" Ruby asked, staring up at the mansion with a large snowflake in the driveway the size of her and Yang's home in Patch.

"This is it." Weiss confirmed.

Ruby stared up at the house that made Beacon feel alot smaller than it was, her eyes flashing red at the thought of the man who lived here, the heartless murderer who killed her family with no regard for anyone else, nor what it would mean for him later.

"Calm down Ruby," Weiss said quietly, knocking on the door. "We'll be back in Vale soon."

"That's not the problem." Ruby muttered, but her eyes still returned to silver as she allowed her almost century old grudge to settle, at least for now anyway.

"Oh, hello Miss Schnee, and is this your friend?" an old man answered the door, politely letting them in.

"Hello Klein, I won't be staying long, I just have some business with father, he should be expecting me." Weiss explained, walking away from the man she saw as her real father with nothing more than a glance, she could apologise to him later.

Klein and Ruby watched her go in silence.

"So... I'm Ruby," she said, offering a hand to the old man.

----------

Weiss walked through the long halls, heels clicking as she made her way to where she knew her father was.

"Oh, hello sister, I wasn't aware you were visiting today." Whitley said as he left a room in passing.

"I'm not staying long, I have business with father." Weiss explained.

"Well, it was nice seeing you," Whitley admitted. "Winter is here as well if you want to see her."

"Perhaps when I'm done talking to father." Weiss answered.

The boy hummed and walked away.

Weiss heaved a sigh when she reached her father's office, she was starting to regret doing this, she'd called her father while she'd packed in Patch, telling him she was 'having problems at Beacon she wanted to straighten out with him'.

Weiss knocked on the door, letting herself in when he gave a half-hearted 'enter' from inside.

Weiss stood in the doorway, eyes growing cold as she reminded herself why she was there. "Father."

The man looked up curiously, only to drop after seeing her, along with his interest.

"Weiss," he greeted, just as coldly, if not more. "What brings you here?"

"I came to talk about Beacon," she reminded him, slowly approaching.

He nodded for her to go on, assuming she was bored of the school and came to ask for a transfer to Atlas.

"I've been enjoying it there," she admitted. "All the people are nice, and I've made plenty of friends."

Jacques nodded slowly, sensing a catch.

"A few days ago, I was shopping with my teammates, and while we were looking for somewhere to have dinner, we found and fought with the criminal Roman Torchwick," Weiss explained.

"Weiss, will you get to the point? I have work to do." Jacques snapped.

"Very well, I found out that two, now three of my teammates are vampires," Weiss watched the man carefully. "Yang spoke of a group of half vampires from the Great War, how there was ten of them, I researched them and found a list of names,"

"Some died, while others simply wish to quietly live out their extended lives, but it surprised me when Ruby spoke of a man named Vincent who murdered her family, a human whose body was never found."

Jacques paled.

"My theory is he was a vampire, killing his own kind and taking on a fake identity, then marrying into a rich family." Weiss said, staring at him pointedly. "Ruby remembers her family's killer, and I'm sure it's understandable that she wants revenge, isn't it, Vincent Frost?"

'Jacques' just stared at her in shock.

"What are you talking about?" he demanded. "You think I'm a century old vampire from the war? And even if I am, what motive would I have?"

"You tell me." Weiss shrugged.

"Weiss, I wouldn't lie about such things," he said, voice softening pitifully.

Weiss rolled her eyes.

"Father." she said. "I want to know why you killed my friends' parents."

Jacques sighed in defeat and moved to a small sitting area, Weiss sitting across from him stoically.

"I am your father Weiss, while I'm also your great grandfather," he began, he knew if he lied he'd only end up killed by a vengeful vampire. "At the time, the Schnees were my friends."

Weiss' eyes widened in surprise.

"I am one of the half vampires you speak of, I came from a family of doctors, we wanted to use vampires to cure illnesses, they get blood while saving someone without turning them." he explained.

Weiss couldn't help her growing interest.

"Our clinic steadily grew, anyone vampires couldn't cure they turned," Jacques paused, getting back on track. "You know how the war came to be, I had no desire to hurt anyone, but when my parents were hurt, vampires tried to help, but failed and left them to die instead of just turning them." his eyes darkened.

"I asked them to turn me, since as a child I wouldn't last long alone during a war." Jacques continued. "They refused, and I somehow killed them, which later led to the death of your friends' parents." he finished.

"So... you murdered Ruby and Yang's family because a vampire wouldn't save yours?" Weiss asked, finding that hard to believe, though she couldn't deny sympathizing with him.

Jacques just nodded.

Weiss stared at him, not knowing what to make of any of that, she heaved a sigh and stood up. "I need to think, also I'm sure Ruby would like to hear your story too."

Jacques' eyes widened in horror.

"Weiss-!" he cried, standing up right as she opened the door, and it was like releasing wild dogs on a cluster of rabbits as the red eyed vampire flew at her family's murderer.