prologue. the sin of bloodthirst

The intoxicating scent of blood. The feel of it being smeared across your cheeks, some of it even dripping down your chin. And best of all... the taste. On the night you nearly killed someone, that was all you could focus on.

"...[Name], please..."

In the darkness, a voice quietly choked out those words. It was a desperate cry, weak and hoarse. They'd been calling out to you like this for several minutes on end, but you were too entranced to take note of it. You just kept on drinking from their neck, relishing in the sweet flavor that enveloped your throat and tongue.

If your parents hadn't intervened when they had, you would have become a murderer.

"What in the world are you doing?! Stop it right now!"

Before you could make sense of what was happening, you were being pulled away from your prey. All you could do was thrash about furiously. In your present state, you were no better than a feral animal. All logic and reason had left your mind a long time ago. What remained was nothing but hunger and selfish desire.

It wasn't until someone slapped you across the face, hard, that you finally came back to your senses. At first, everything was fuzzy, but eventually, the images stopped dancing in front of your eyes, and you were able to take in the scene.

A friend of yours, a rather close friend, as a matter of fact, was laying helplessly on the ground, blood staining the length of their neck. A good deal of it had even soaked into the front of their shirt. They weren't moving either. You could barely even tell that they were breathing, what with how subtly their chest was moving up and down.

Eyes wide, you slowly patted the sides of your face, fingers coming back coated in crimson. Their blood, and it was all over you. So much blood... it was too much. You did this? You took this much blood from them?

"Wait," you started, but it was too late to bother making excuses for what you'd done. Your friend was lifted up by someone and taken out of the room in a hurry, no doubt to receive immediate treatment. Their body looked limp in the arms of the person carrying them. If you hadn't known better, you might've thought they were already a corpse.

And you had no one but yourself to blame for it.

"You foolish girl!" It was your mother, the same person who'd slapped you in order to bring you back to reality. She grabbed hold of your shoulders, teeth viciously grit from anger. "Do you have any idea what you've done? How could you possibly lose control and do that to your own friend? You nearly killed them! They might die because of you!"

You blinked, tears slowly slipping down your cheeks. "I... I didn't mean to—"

"No! There's no excuse! I've told you time and time again not to get carried away. Not to let your thirst for blood cloud your reason. What am I meant to say to that child's family? They've been devoted retainers of ours for countless generations. You've single-handedly destroyed the trust we worked so hard to build up!"

She clenched her fist, looking as though she wanted to hit you again, but unlike you, she was able to control herself. Then, she stood up, expression devoid of any emotion.

"This was the last straw," she said coldly. "You never learn, [Name]. Us vampires are more powerful than we even realize. You cannot simply take what you want, whenever you want it. There are limits to your greed and gluttony. As your mother, I cannot continue to excuse such irresponsible behavior."

"So... what are you trying to say?" you gaped. It was all too much to process at once. It hadn't even really sunk in that you'd nearly killed your friend. You still couldn't believe that you were capable of such a thing.