25. broken and bloody

Ambrose had you pinned to the ground, with the full weight of his body holding you down. This position put you in a clear disadvantage, and so, you did what any good sibling would do.

You kneed him in the balls.

"Fucking bitch!" he cried out, doubling over slightly. It gave you just enough wiggle room to bring your leg up high enough to kick him back, and you hurried to rise to your feet, placing a bit of distance between the two of you.

"This is stupid," you insisted. "I know we don't get along, but you're not actually going to kill me, right? I'm still your sister. I've known you my entire life."

Ambrose grimaced, but despite his tender balls, still didn't look willing to back down. "I've hated you from the moment you were born," he spat. "Mother and father always treated you differently from the rest of us. Even though you're nothing but a bumbling fool, they coddled you and let you have everything you ever wanted."

"Coddled me?" you repeated, eyes wide with disbelief. "Are you forgetting that they literally banished me to a whole different world?! Sure, I was naturally strong, and they saw potential in me, but they hardly showed me any real affection. Our parents are pretty crappy, let's be honest. They're not exactly all that nurturing. But that isn't my fault."

"That's what you think, and yet, they acknowledged you the most out of any of their other children," he scowled. "You're completely and utterly ungrateful. A little brat like you has no business ascending to the throne. That's why I'm going to kill you and make sure you can't ever take what's rightfully mine."

You were fed up with this conversation. You'd already told him you could care less about becoming the next monarch, but he clearly wasn't listening to you. He was paranoid and desperate beyond measure, more so than you'd ever realized.

It looked like you were going to have to kick his ass to make him see reason again.

"Fine, dipshit," you sighed. "Time to talk with our fists, I guess."

You had always been stronger than your siblings. Ambrose was the oldest, and thus, he'd had the most time to develop his strength. Even so, you'd sparred with him quite recently before your banishment, and you'd won. Now that you thought about it, you recalled his expression being remarkably bitter, but at the time, you'd just assumed he was being a sore loser.

But you knew better now. In that very moment, he must've been itching to kill you.

Unwilling to let him get the jump on you again, you lunged at him and swung your leg out in a roundhouse kick. You were fast, but Ambrose was even faster. He easily evaded you, and retaliated with a kick of his own. Thankfully, you managed to put your arms up in time to block it, but it still hurt and pushed you back.

Is it just me, or is he faster than I remember him being?

Nearly a year had passed since you'd come to this world. It was entirely possible that in that time, Ambrose had honed his strength even more. The fight was only starting, in any case. You weren't about to get tied up in the details and allow yourself to be discouraged.

You took a deep breath, focusing all your energy on the asshole in front of you that you had the misfortune of being related to. The next time you clashed, you opted for a punch, putting every ounce of your strength into it. And to your relief, the punch hit Ambrose square in the jaw.

But based on how quickly he recovered, you may as well have just flicked him.

Ambrose wiped a hand across his swollen lip, chuckling darkly. "What's going on, [Name]? You're so much weaker than I remember. At this rate, killing you won't even be fun. I'm not sure what mother and father were thinking, naming someone like you as their heir."