43. new meanings

Sometimes, Chisaki marveled at his own patience.

If it were entirely up to him, you would never have stepped foot outside the Shie Hassaikai complex ever again. At first, he planned on punishing you for 'lying' to him-AKA killing you-but once he discovered that there was truth to your words, his whole tune had changed. It had further reaffirmed what he'd felt so strongly from the start. It was difficult to describe, more like a gut feeling than anything else, but from the moment you'd told him that you didn't have a Quirk, it was as if he could finally breathe.

You were different from the rest. Different from the rabble, the filth, the incessant blight that kept staining the world. You were from a whole other plane of existence, and thus, untainted by the ever-present disease that had infected this society. The fact that you ingested blood in order to survive should have disgusted him, because by all accounts, it was disgusting, and yet, he didn't feel that way in the slightest.

Rather, he'd enjoyed watching you feed off him. He'd been entranced by the sight of you greedily gulping down his blood, getting drunk on it. The warmth of your comparatively smaller body against his own was a welcome sensation. It didn't make his skin crawl. It didn't cause him unmatched revulsion.

You were an anomaly, but it didn't matter. In fact, he preferred it that way. Perhaps you were a little miracle. His little miracle.

It wasn't your fault that you were pursuing heroism. You weren't from this world, so you didn't know any better, and you were still young and foolish, poisoned by the misguided beliefs of those around you. They were leading you down the wrong path, but it was okay, because over time, he would steer you back in the right direction.

That was why, despite how badly he wanted to keep you here, to make it so that you never left the confines of these walls, he knew he needed to be patient. He needed to build up your trust. He needed to make you wholly reliant on him-and at that point, he wouldn't even have to kidnap you, because you would choose to stay here of your own volition.

Chisaki was good at making plans, and he was good at biding his time until they came to fruition. After all, this wouldn't be the first scheme that he'd concocted. He had another plan that had been in the works for far longer.

Soon, he would reap the benefits of that one, too.

"Chisaki? Did something happen while I was gone? I've been hearing some chatter."

The man who'd just stepped into the room was his adoptive father, Pops. He'd taken Chisaki in from a young age, saved him from a life of filth and poverty. Pops was the single person he truly cared about, other than you, and in his eyes, he owed him a great debt. A debt that he was determined to repay.

"Yes, I had a visitor," Chisaki hummed, unable to keep the smile out of his voice.

Pops arched a brow, clearly unconvinced. "You brought someone over? I find that difficult to believe. Chisaki. Didn't I tell you to stop getting into fights? I hope you didn't drag some poor fool all the way here just to hurt him."

"No, it really was a visitor. A girl. [Name]."

"A girl?"

Now Pops looked even less convinced. Chisaki huffed, slightly offended. Granted, he'd never entertained any women before-he thought the notion of intimacy was disgusting, quite frankly-but still. He was more than capable of talking to women if he wanted to. Which he didn't.

"So, you've started seeing someone?" Pops asked, curious. "But I thought... that you weren't interested in those things. I thought your condition prevented you from getting close to others. And I see that you're still wearing those gloves and mask."