37. seeking salvation

Dark, crimson liquid stained the arena. There was blood everywhere-Shouto's blood-and at the center of it all, was you.

Shouto was in dire need of medical care. You could tell just by looking at him. He'd lost far too much blood, to the point that it could very well have been fatal. Perhaps it might even be fatal. There was no guarantee that he would survive this incident. Recovery Girl had the ability to accelerate a person's natural healing process, but even she couldn't replenish all of the blood he was missing.

Such a cruel, disgusting thing, where a teenage boy's life hung in the balance...

And you were completely to blame for it.

What happened afterwards all felt like a blur. Given Shouto's critical condition, the Sports Festival was temporarily put on pause. The damage that Shouto had sustained made his fight against Izuku look like child's play by comparison. Back then, Izuku had been battered and broken, but there was no disputing that he would survive.

If the worst came to pass, then it would mean that you'd just murdered someone while millions of people watched.

You hurried to clamp a palm over your bloodstained mouth, resisting the urge to vomit. The deep, throbbing discomfort in your stomach was gone. Your hunger had dissipated. But in its place, an overwhelming sense of nausea and disgust had blossomed. It made you want to purge all the blood you'd mindlessly and selfishly taken from Shouto, even though you knew it couldn't possibly make up for what he'd endured.

In this moment, you could safely say that you'd never hated yourself more.

"[Name]," Midnight said, grabbing you by the hand and pulling you up. "Come on. You need to get going. I don't know what happened out there, but you took things too far. You should have stopped the moment Todoroki was no longer able to fight. Go back inside, clean yourself up, and wait for us teachers to sort out this matter."

She gave your hand a light squeeze, almost as if she was trying to reassure you that everything was going to be okay. At the very least, she didn't look afraid of you. Perhaps it was because she was a pro, well-versed when it came to dealing with villains and other kinds of danger.

Still. Even if she wasn't afraid of you, her attempt at reassurance was futile.

Nothing was going to be okay. That much, you were sure of.

You turned away from her without saying a word, then dragged your feet behind you as you walked off. Even though you didn't dare to look up, you could still feel everyone's harsh, judgmental glares boring a hole into your back. They probably thought you were despicable. They probably thought you were the furthest thing from a hero possible.

And as much as it pained you to admit, you agreed with them. Seriously, what the actual fuck was wrong with you?

You choked back another wave of tears. No. You didn't deserve to cry. You didn't have the right. Not after everything you'd done.

You honestly didn't know what would happen after this. If Shouto died because of you, you probably wouldn't have the strength to carry on. Your parents had banished you to this world so that you could learn what not to do, but here you were, taking other people's lives for granted yet again.

Maybe it's better for everyone if I just die. At least that way... they would be safe.

Your thoughts were becoming darker and more twisted by the second, but unfortunately for you, it was only about to get worse.

"You!"

The voice was too distinct for you to mistake it for anyone else's. Despite the fact that you'd only spoken once, he had already made a big impact, and based on what you knew about him, he was surely someone you wouldn't be able to forget.