42. resurgence

You honestly didn't have a clue how much time had passed.

It somehow felt like a near eternity, but it could just as easily have been several minutes. There was really no way to tell. The more of Chisaki's blood you drank, the more reality seemed to blur, thoughts and feelings blending together until you could hardly discern what was fictitious or not.

There was seemingly no end. His blood just kept on flowing, never giving you the chance to pause or even catch your breath. You desperately struggled to stay lucid, but truly, with every second, you felt yourself drowning more and more.

Until finally, Chisaki decided to have mercy on you.

"...I think that's enough for one day."

You felt a slight pull, firm yet gentle, and with it, your lips finally parted from his neck. Your vision remained hazy for a while, but ever-so-slowly, your breathing settled, and the scene in front of your eyes finally became clear.

Chisaki's neck was glossy with blood, and some of your leftover saliva. For a germaphobe such as himself, it should have disgusted him beyond belief, but strangely enough, he showed no sign of breaking out into hives. Even after you'd sunk your fangs into his flesh and gorged yourself on his blood, he'd remained unfazed.

You didn't realize it at the time, but the fact that he was willing to go so far for you was a sign of much worse things to come.

Chisaki quickly wiped his neck with a napkin, then proceeded to hastily swipe one of his fingers along the bite mark, restoring his body whole again, just as he'd done countless times by now. He'd successfully replenished all of his blood, and even after you'd fed on him without restraint, he didn't look the slightest bit affected by it.

On paper, he was essentially your perfect match. He could provide you with more than enough blood, without incurring any risk. He could take care of you and see to it that you never went hungry ever again.

If only he wasn't such a twisted bastard.

"How do you feel?" Chisaki asked, leaning closer and fixing you in his golden gaze.

You blinked a few times, still processing. "Uh... I'm okay. I feel... fine."

"Just fine? After I gave you all that blood? I would've thought you'd be feeling better than ever. It seems as though my generosity isn't being properly appreciated."

He called it 'generosity', but he'd quite literally forced you into drinking his blood. Even now, you feared to imagine what he would've done if you'd continued to refuse.

Well, it was too late now to bother worrying about the semantics. You took a deep breath and closed your eyes, focusing all your attention on the rhythm and functionality of your body. You allowed everything to wash over you, and instead of struggling to make sense of it, you let yourself just feel.

Eventually, you opened your eyes.

"I feel... strong," you admitted, repeatedly clenching and unclenching your fist. "I feel different, but in a good way. I feel a bit closer to how I used to feel in my old world. It's difficult to explain, but that's just the feeling I get."

A smile rose to Chisaki's lips. "Good," he hummed, reaching out to twirl a lock of your hair between his fingers. "I'm happy to hear you're feeling better. Aren't you glad we had this meeting? It seems everything worked out for the best."

You scrunched up your nose.

For someone with mysophobia, he sure was being touchy all of a sudden.

And didn't you technically kidnap me? You were probably planning on killing me because you thought I'd lied to you. I lucked out because that Nemoto guy was able to confirm my words, but otherwise...