The tapping

After that day, that thing proceeds to follow her everywhere but no one else can see it. She resorted to trying to take pictures of it or looking in a mirror to see if it was there. It didn't say anything but it just stared.

None of this made any sense but it shows I wasn't the only person in this insane town that knew it doesn't exist. Not only that but when she started having those dreams it seemed as if sleep was her only escape from her family. It felt like she was on the brink of insanity. And everyone around her thought the same.

"Today she spoke she kept repeating the word 'soon' over and over again"

She was the only child of two workaholics parents, they both hated each other because being high school sweethearts, not even a year after they graduated high school and got married the father cheated. 

But the only reason why they stuck around is because of her, the mom was three months pregnant and didn't want her child to grow up the same way she did. But it seemed useless because all they did was argue.

It got so bad that she asked them to divorce each other on her thirteenth birthday for a present. She moved here when she was nine in the 3rd grade.

They only expected the best from her and nothing less even when she was a child but it seemed when she had 'gifted kid burnout' in her second semester of the 12th grade they forced her to have tutors after tutors after tutors. 

But it seemed she didn't have the energy or the motivation to do anything so she just stared into open space for hours on end, she said it felt like it was the only place she had peace of mind. Burnout is a state of mental, physical, or emotional exhaustion.

Burnout in children happens when kids are faced with ongoing stress or frustration with no chance to relax and recharge. But it seems this only made things worse with the ongoing stress of that thing following her.

But as I scrolled I saw that she stopped viewing her parents as a family soon, friends as friends and anyone close to her went out of her way to avoid her. She wanted nothing to do with anyone close to her. Even the people she grew up with. But there are still things that don't add up.What was it that she didn't want to remember? Why was she scared of her name? Why did she say they were raising kids like cattle?

Such a tragic thing, finally you're gonna get away from this small town and go off to college. All of that hard work is paying off and you get the chance to live your life like always dreamed of.

You worked a day in and day out for a perfect GPA, and SAT, and to seem perfect to your parents after years of having to deal with everything in this town. And then that happens. You forget everything about yourself and wind up scared of your name. You don't even look the same. Kind of depressing when you think about it.

Nothing crushes your soul like wasted potential.

Maybe that was it, she used every social media outlet to try to warn others and help everyone in this town. Not once thinking about how this was going to affect her. Maybe if she got out and then tried to tell others that this place exists.

I sigh as I get up from my chair and lie down on my bed. I guess watching some T.V would help me take my mind off of this terrifying situation as it slowly poured into my mind that this was way worse than I would have ever thought. 

And of course, the first thing that pops up is twilight. Oh, how I wish life was like that. The monsters were lovable and beautiful. Their most terrifying thing is they sparkle in the sunlight and have fangs, yeah they killed some people but they all were once human and are just misunderstood.

But then there is actual life, they live in your closet or under your bed and wait for you to sleep. Nothing made them this way or forced them to be this vile and evil or to prey on kids who have no idea of what life is. 

This made it feel like a mockery of my underlining fate. It felt like a sick joke and I was the punchline. From the name of this town to this movie. But these monsters were just made like that. They were your worst nightmare personified.

I glanced at the clock on my computer that was sitting at my desk at 1:20'. My body feels extremely tired and worn out and it felt like I was fighting to keep my eyes open. Thank god today is Friday. I don't think I can take another thing happening today. Then I hear rocks hitting my window.

Tap

Tap

Tap

Nope, not doing it. I'm not doing this today. So I ignored it. My body felt heavy and I just really wanted to take a nap. My back still hurts and I now have a headache from whatever was in the school parking lot.

I don't have enough energy left to get out of bed and see what that noise is but I'm sure it's not that important. I feel like being in this town is a full-time job on how not to get yourself killed. One wrong move and it's over. Better yet this takes curiosity killed the cat to a whole new meaning. I'm glad that over the years of places I've been in that I've grown a thick skin.

I mean I've lived with many insane foster parents over the years and I've learned two unspoken rules, one is that no matter what, do not investigate and number two hide and lie. Number two is kinda two things but I count it as one because you can't do one without the other. And living here those things are essential to know, well if you want to stay alive.

My fingers trace along with the black remote as my mind drifts off to sleep. Maybe later on in the day, I might go downstairs onto the screened-in porch to get out of the house without being stared at. But the fact that these houses are two feet away from the woods felt like it was never-ending. I don't doubt that I will see something I'm not supposed to do again.

Tap

Tap

Tap

What did she mean by raising kids like cattle?

Tap

Tap

Tap

_____

1100 words

Starting to update weekly