The Lady in the Woods

"Oh and here I was thinking. You'd wander aimlessly and sink in. Lost amidst these woods, so deep. With secrets that are yours to keep. But now I see you're not alone. Your path is lit by glowing stones" a shaky voice says causing the both of them to look for the source of the voice

They both walked in, clinging to each other as they walked into a room that looked like the middle of someone's living room. 

It had a lit fireplace in the middle and it was warm. They saw a young woman with white hair standing in the middle, looking as if she had been expecting them. She had a long dress, that looked brand new

"Are you the lady of the woods?" Jamiie whispers as they clutch each other's arms ready to run just in case anything happened. They felt like a mouse walking into a trap.

"Is that what they call me? A mystery to all who see? Then I suppose it must be true. For who am I to argue? But common, now, we don't have time. To ponder on this strange design. Let's hurry on, the clock's a-ticking. And our journey is for the taking." she says in an upbeat voice not noticing they were staring at her like a deer in headlights.

She reaches out, and although her face looked like a woman in her early twenties her hands were from someone who had died and started decomposing.

It caused them both to gasp and she glanced up at them and dismissed their previous gesture. She wanted something of emotional value, that's how she works. That's how most things work.

 Jamiie reaches into her pocket and pulls out a pair of rings. Careful not to touch her hands even though she had gloves on.

"Oh, this... this will do just fine," the lady of the woods says as her voice dropped as she stared at the rings and held them over her nose before deeply inhaling. 

The gesture made them both stare in confusion and disgust for a moment.

"We need to know, what is after us?" Maxie ask

"Have you ever heard of everything happening for a reason? This is a prime example of it, the season. Of life has brought us here, together, And fate, well, it's not something to tether. For only a fool would dare to mess with it. The cosmic strings that tie our every stitch. Of being to this world and beyond," The lady of the woods says before turning around and walking into another room

"But what do we do? Where is it taking us?" Maxie says as they watch her walk out with something in her hands

"You're not supposed to do anything, And yet you ventured forth, heedless of warning, Now it's taking you back to its home, A place you never thought you'd roam. Weren't you warned of messing with fate, And playing games with powers great?"

"Yes but we just can't stand around and let it just kidnap us" Jamiie chimes in

"But you can talk to it, speak to them, Although they are wild animals, they are not beasts. Running will always make things worse, And I know there's a good chance you won't listen to me. But think about how much worse things can turn out, If you don't take heed of the creatures about." The lady of the woods says in a calm warning tone. It was very low, her voice was matching her hands

"Can't you just make something where we won't get snatch a spell or anything to buy us more time? You're a dark witch isn't there anything you can do"

"Of course, I can, but the consequences are dire, Too great for anyone to handle, too much to inspire. That's how everything goes here, in this dense, ugly forest, Where the beasts roam free and the air is thick with unrest. If I could do as much as you think I can, Do you really think I would be here, in this cursed land? Stuck in this endless maze of shadows and fear, Trapped with the beasts, with no hope of getting near. But still, I know things that others don't, Secrets of the forest, that give me hope and grant me hope. I speak their language, and they speak mine, And we coexist, in a balance so divine. But don't be fooled, for danger still lurks, In the shadows and the woods, where evil works. And though I may know more than most, I am not immune to the terror and the host." the lady of the woods says, shoving her hands in their face and forcing them to look at them and see the ugliness of her hands.

"No no, don't be a fool," the lady of the woods says before lowering her hands and letting the sleeves of her dress cover her hands

"So we came all the way out here for nothing"

"Well, not for nothing, you've given me emotional value, Greater than anything I've been given in a while. But beware, for I have a gift, a glimpse into the future, Of the creatures that are after you, in their endless torture."

They both glance at each other while Maxie digs in his pocket and gives the lady in the woods a broken chain that looked like it was snapped in multiple places

"What can I get for that"

She stares at it for a while before letting out a cackle

"Well, not for nothing, you've given me emotional value, Greater than anything I've been given in a while. But beware, for I have a gift, a glimpse into the future, Of your creatures that are after you, in their endless torture."

"Please don't call them our creatures," Jamiie said, completely annoyed.

"We'll do it," Maxi says completely ignoring Jamiie's comments

"Of Course but first drink this, it's a potion. Brewed in the darkest depths of this cursed forest's ocean." the lady of the woods presses on

She turned around and pulled a small bottle from behind her back. It was a green bottle filled with an unknown substance that was the size of your palm, but it wasn't a normal type of green. Not a green the color of grass or moss.

This was a strange green that looked as if it was pulled from the depths of the earth like it was here long before humans were. Even down the way, the small top on it was rusted with a faded symbol.

She gripped it with so much force as if she was afraid it was going to slip out of her old rusting hands. Just by looking at the bottle, they both knew this was something they were going to regret. 

Maxi felt his mouth go dry just looking at the unappetizing thing she held, Jamiie felt nothing but disgust run through her body.

_________

1138 words