The slumber

She smiled a wide tooth grin that seemed completely unnatural for a human that stretched ear to ear. Skin stretching to the point of almost tearing.

"Hear take it" she pushed onto them, they looked at each other seeming to second guess their decision but Jamiie took it from her old grayish veiny hands.

"But be warned only use a little" she adds on, staring at them with anticipation in her eyes

"You sure you want to drink this" Jamie says

" I don't think we have much of a choice I mean we came all the way out here and I don't want it to be for nothing" Maxie whispered to jamiie

"How exactly does this work," Maxie says looking at the bottle in Jamiie

"Exactly how I said it would now drink" she pushed on, and she stared at them. Watching them. Anticipating. Looking like she just won the lottery stumbling upon these two willing to do anything to get out of the situation they were in.

Jamiie took it, staring at the bottle with this weird liquid inside, she pulled the top off, and just as the smell hit her nose as she was about to drink almost caused her to throw up. It caused a full body reaction, gagging, weak in the knees, and dizziness. Simply from smelling the foul substance.

"What is this?" Jamiie says, eyes tearing up from the smell It smells worse than that dead body after the left out in the sun for days

"Oh, kids these days are so dramatic. The smell is not that bad" the lady of the woods mumbles out

Jamiie gathered the courage, took a deep breath, and drank a single drop, Maxi not wasting any time grabs it from her hands and takes a swig.

"But this is my first time making it for humans so if you feel you're going to die try not to freak out on my rug"

"What" Maxie yelled but it was too late. They felt the effects of the single drop kick in almost immediately, they were sinking into the ground like quicksand and they slowly began to have tunnel vision.

It was like sinking to the bottom of the ocean, going deeper and deeper, everything around you getting darker. The light turned into darkness he's never seen before. Everything turned into a growling gut retching silence.

Not even his own heartbeat thumping against his skin. Not even his own breathing It was like a never-ending time, in never-ending darkness.

It felt like being in a coma. Maxie found himself trapped in his own mind wondering if he was even alive, wondering if the old lady had tricked him into drinking poison. It felt like he was leaving his body.

Slipping through his subconscious.

Falling out of him.

It was like falling asleep only worse, only this time you didn't want to know. Maxie was the first to open his eyes, it was like sitting in a movie theater staring at the big screen in front of you. Sitting, staring at the movie before you.

But this wasn't a movie.

These were the last moments of someone's life.

"What?" he whispered out, gazing upon the scene in front. There was a girl, the same age as all the rest, fitting the description.

"Pick up Pick up Pick up, Please please please" the girl said, frantically dialing a number on her phone over and over again. Her eyes were puffy and she was chewing the skin off her fingers, shaking. 

Like a broken washing machine, or a rattlesnake's tail. It felt like something out of a horror movie.

She was in an empty classroom curled up in an empty corner. Noises could be heard coming closer and closer, loud banging and ripping. It was so loud it almost caused his ears to be ringing. It looked as if there was no way out. 

Then silence, complete and total silence. The girl raised up, eyes peeking, praying it was over and this was just something she would run from.

"BANG" the sound of a door being kicked in, the frantic noise continuing, it was clear that it was completely destroying the classrooms looking for something. The girl jumped and scurried back to where she was. That pattern continued.

Silence

BANG

Ripping and tearing

Silence

BANG

Ripping and tearing

Silence

BANG

Ripping and tearing

Silence

BANG

Ripping and tearing

Silence

It was getting closer and closer and soon she realized it was in the room next to her. It felt like playing Russian roulette, each time pulling the trigger was empty, but you know one of them has a bullet.

Like standing on a sheet of thin ice on a frozen lake. Like tracing a balloon with a knife. Maxie realized this is the part when it goes silent and he would cover his eyes or look away. But he couldn't look away because he knew.

He knew

How this would end and he didn't like it. He wanted to yell at her, scream, and run for your life. Get out of there. But he couldn't, much like sitting in the movie theater there was no way they would hear you.

_____

867 words