The forest

The three days had passed by as quickly as they came.

"So we're taking your car, after a little bit of research, we can drive through the forest," Jamiie said drowning on

"I feel a but" Maxie groaned out, feeling like he wanted this to be over as quickly as possible. They both were anticipating this day.

"But your car will shut off and it can attract something called an Aatoh to you"

"I don't even want to know what that is"

"So we have to walk so I brought rain boots, an extra coat, and ear muffs"

"Ear muffs?"

"Yeah, apparently even the trees a dangerous and can drive you insane"

"Anything else I should know?"

"Those directions have to be memorized because we can't talk in the forest it attracts creatures"

"Got it so no driving, hearing, or talking what's next are you gonna say we can't breathe either?"

"Nah it's just when we find where the lady of the woods is, we're going to have to look for an illusion just like the one with the tarot lady"

"Did it say anything specific about what it looks like?"

"Nope just that you'll know it when you see it"

"Why does almost everything here never give a direct answer, it's always something vague. So the map, where exactly are we supposed to go?"

"Just over the gate, follow the trail, past the pond, and so on"

"You look tired," Jamiie said, glancing up at Maxie, his eyes looking like they were sunk into his skull. He always looked tired but it seems now like he was tired of life, or everything in general. But so was Jamiie, it was like the both of them were on a sinking ship asking each other for help.

Jamiie's eyes burned from staying up all night, she didn't even have nails anymore from chewing them off. Her body felt the effect of not sleeping, it was like she was wearing weights and time seemed to be slower than usual.

"I didn't sleep last night" Maxie sighed, not caring to meet Jamiie's eyes that were unintentionally burning holes into him

"Yeah.. let's go, something tells me this will be a long day. Did you drink any coffee"

"Nah I get it afterward now we have something to actually look forward to. Did you grab something of emotional value?"

"Yeah, I made sure it was something useful. I have a strong feeling it needs to be something thought out and not last minute" She slipped her hand into her pocket feeling the rings around the tips of her fingers, feeling the engravings on them, it was something she stole when she was a kid.

Something she felt remorse for, the only thing from her past she felt she had ties to. The only thing she felt like was the last of her childhood innocence.

"I grabbed something I had hidden I mean I almost forgot it was there," Maxie says, seeming to be dazed out

Maxie climbs into Jammie's truck and drove to Rayleems groove, the air was thick with anxiety as they drove past all the houses and parked on the side of the road with trees lining each side, the fog covered the forest as Jamiie looked at the overgrown trail with an old silver gate covered in vines blocked it off. 

Maxie handed Jamiie a pair of old rain boots to put on, just glancing at the trail ahead was enough to know that this was going to be difficult.

They both put on the old boots and ear muffs as Maxie passed Jamiie a flashlight and put on the yellow rain jackets over their coats and walked to the gate and climbed over.