The teenager or adult

Class.

There I was again, repeating the things in my head as if I was stuck in a loop. I sat at my desk staring at the pair of eyes I drew with a 3B pencil with the desk that was carved into like a pumpkin. 

Those eyes I saw in the parking lot and those eyes I saw with that thing in the road run around and around in my head. Art class was my favorite not because I was stuck in a chair drawing like a four-year-old but because it was quiet.

Too quiet.

As if the phrase "speak of the devil and he shall appear" wasn't even more true. I hear the phone ring.

"The phone never rings in this class," I thought to myself.

A few " Yes she is here, of course, yeah" Could be heard from Ms Hallow, the old widow who was my art teacher. She soon hung up with an "ah alright bye now". Soon I heard the clicking of her black heels as if she was walking in my direction.

"Please don't come near me, please don't come near me Please don't come near me, please don't come near me" I pleaded in my head. But soon she was standing right in front of me patting me on my shoulder with her silver-colored nails to get my attention.

"Jamiie the principal wants to see you, don't worry you're not in trouble and you won't need to bring your things," she says with that soft voice she always has. She was wearing an old t-shirt with paint smeared on it. She had her hand on my shoulder almost like she was trying to comfort me.

Son of a-

"Alright Ms," I say, trying my absolute hardest to sound anything but annoyed. I sighed and got up from my seat. 

And put down my pencil and dusted off my pants. I look around and see people looking at me oddly. As if they were looking through me. But I ignore it and walk to the front office all while thinking about what this could be about.

"I just want to get this over with and go home"

I walk into the office mentally kicking myself all the way there and I meet with the principal and this guy. I couldn't look at his face because he was facing away from me. He was wearing a gray sweater with blue jeans but dear god his height was. The principal looked so small compared to him. We both looked like children compared to him.

Is he a grown man pretending to be a teenager?

"Hello Ms. Duff since you've been in this school for so long you should show this new student around," she says with a groggy voice as if she just woke up. She was wearing this pink pants suit.

"Couldn't you just get student aid?" I complained.

"Here" she gives me his schedule with her veiny hands anyways and turns to this new student. She didn't even wait for me to answer.

"Come on," she says to him, completely ignoring me and gesturing to him to follow me.

He turns around and I don't even bother to look him in the face. I glance at the principal one more time before I take my leave. He was at least six feet and he was easily towering over me. Not to mention the weird energy coming off of him.

"Here's your first period, right across the hall is your second," I said as I pointed down a hallway.

My stomach began to feel weird. I put my hand over my stomach. Not only that but the hair on the back of my neck was rising. Chill bumps ran up my arms as if I had jumped out into a pit of snow.

"You okay?" He asked, and his voice was something that rang every alarm bell in my head that something, something felt off. It was like re-watching a scary movie, you know a jump scare is going to happen at any minute.

"Yeah, just tired" I respond telling half of the truth

"Really?" He says, but the tone in his voice suggested that he didn't believe me. It felt like a parent talking down to their child. 

I glanced up at his face to see he was watching me, looking at my eyes and hands to see if I was lying. Which are textbook ways to see. But I was watching him. Not to see if he was lying but to see what he was even looking for. If he was trying to find out about the missing teens he needs to question the adults.

"Yup anyways your 3rd and 4th will be down the hallway to your left," I said redirecting him to another direction but he didn't look. Instead, he just stared at me concentrating, his eyebrows were pushed down like he was deciding his next move carefully.

Suddenly he grabs my arm, pulls me close to him, and looks me in the eyes.

"Listen, have you ever seen anything strange in this town, almost like it from a movie," he asks like some cop asking a suspect. His tone was serious and his voice was deep like whatever he wanted he was going to get.

Those eyes.

Those were the eyes of someone to not be trusted. It looked lifeless, hard, cold, and dull. Almost as if he was trying to intimidate me with a stare like a shark stares at its food right before it attacks. His black eyes looked as if they were completely dilated and his breathing seemed to slow down. It felt like staring at a rattlesnake while it was shaking its tail.

"Nope," I said, letting the lie fall effortlessly from my tongue. I don't know what he is looking for but he is not going to find it from me.

"You sure?" He knew as well as I did that it was a stone-cold lie. I was trying my hardest to pull my arm from him but he tightened his grip. 

It was as if he needed me to keep making eye contact with him. He was trying to find a queue with even the slightest hint that I was lying through my teeth. But I kept my eyes on him, kept my hands down, and made absolutely sure not to move around.

"Yeah" I whispered as if my voice could not be any louder.

"You look familiar, have I met you before?" He says antagonizing me. He got closer to me. Now I could see every detail on his face. It was like looking at a Greek statue. Every piece of him was to be carved out of the finest marble on earth and sculpted by the hands of a Greek god. He didn't seem real. None of this seemed real.

"No"

Just then, he pulled me in pushing my head and it felt like he was breathing in my ear.

"Lying is a sin, you know?" he says again except this time in this almost hugging way I realized how much danger I was in. This is a 6-foot, easily 200-pound man who is a stranger and could be someone dangerous.

______

1210 words