The meeting

Jamiie instantly jumped to find the name she was given forgetting about the complete misery she felt a few seconds ago. She reached over and grabbed a random piece of paper filled with random mindless scribble from her desk and wrote down the name she was given. Her heart was pounding with every letter.

She then opened her computer and carefully typed it into google. After she hit enter she scrolled through a few pages of people that didn't fit. After a couple of minutes, she found him. In a photo taken with him and some kids at a summer camp with the caption "see you next summer". He looked to be the oldest one

"This must be him," she thought to herself, he was the only one to fit the description.

Her fingers hovered over the keyboard as she clicked on an outdated photo from a goodbye note with a phone number with "love Maxie'' written in red ink. She reached over and dialed the number into her phone carefully glancing every time she dialed a number to make sure it was correct.

"Hello," a weak voice said, so quiet it could barely be heard.

"Is this Maxie Emery?" she said, her fingers gripped into the phone.

"Yes, who is this?"

"My name is Jamiie and I'm calling you because I know you are in the same boat I'm in and you called that number in the ad but he didn't help," she said, hoping he didn't call her crazy and hang up. But there was a moment of deafening silence for a few moments.

"... I'm so scared, I don't even sleep anymore" he whispered out on the phone, almost like he was scared to speak. It was low, scratchy, and shaky. Like he was going to start crying at any second. Even the phone sounded like it was shaking.

"Listen, the man said he can't help us but we can help each other" Jamiie says rushing the sentences hoping he won't hang up

"Really?"

"Let's meet up, at the library"

"Okay," he said. He hung up and she grabbed her backpack off the floor and grabbed her phone and headed out the door. She walked out, making sure to lock the door behind her. She got in her truck and drove to the library.

The drive was long and she was impatient. Silently thinking of a hundred and one ways to explain away how she got his number and everything that happened today. 

Although the low hum of the engine was enough noise to drown out the doubt in her head wondering if she lowered her guard to someone who was planning to attack her.

Or if that thing in the school had found a way to get answers from her and was waiting for her at the library. Or that thing from the road. Or if that man over the phone was setting her up.

Her grip tightened on the steering wheel as she turned to the street with the library sitting on the edge, mind-going a hundred and one miles with every possibility of what could go down and none of them were good. 

Silently Jamiie pleaded with every last bit of hope she had left that he would be standing there and this wasn't some ambush.

Jamiie's fingers traced over a stitch in the steering wheel as her mind fell deeper into the possibilities. Pondering over it. She turned down the street, glancing at the stores that should have gone out of business years ago. The more stores that passed the more worried she got.

But as she approached the old building there was someone sitting on the side of it in their car glancing around every now and again. Even from a distance, Jamiie could see that this person looked like a mess.

Simply from his silhouette in his black car, she could see the way his hair looked unkempt, his breath fogged up the windows and his breathing was uneven. 

The closer her truck pulled into the library the more she got to see how this person looked. She pulled her truck behind the car and unbuckled her seat belt. Anxiety gnawed at her insides as her hands grew shaky. And her chest tightened.

With everything that happened today, I'm surprised she didn't jump out of her skin.

The person glanced up in the rearview mirror to see the truck behind them and got out of the car.

"Jamiie?" the person said.

 Jamiie had to adjust her eyes to meet his. He was only three inches taller than her but he was wearing a beige sweater, black pants, and black shoes. She wouldn't be surprised if he just through on random things lying around his house, to be fair this was last minute and neither one of them was prepared. Jamiie's finger gripped the ends of her sweater as she looked at the person before her.

"Yeah, Maxie?"

"Yeah"

_________

830