Bonus Chapter: Gwen and Alastair

Gwen~~

It's around six in the morning when the first of the ships from Amoria lands on the airstrip. I stand between August and Eli beside our limo that's surrounded by a dozen Veil.

Standing in one spot has been difficult when all I want to do is pace but can only allow myself small steps side to side or front to back. And my hands—I have absolutely no idea what to do with those. If I move too much, my cousins will think I'm nervous.

Which I most certainly am not. It's only that I'm here and my brothers are not.

After stairs have been rolled up to the ship, the ship's door is opened, and two Amorians exit.

I wish it had been faster for them to get here. Both Bently and Iris have been captured by the Amoris in France, and I feel absolutely powerless, while being separated from them by an ocean. I can't even begin to imagine what Jonas is feeling right now or what Bently must be experiencing. I don't even know if Iris is still alive.

Eli whistles under his breath. "He's going to be trouble."

My eyes snap up to the door of the ship. Descending the stairs, gazed fixed on me, is Alastair Moretti.

"What is he doing here?" August asks, and I don't have an answer.

Alastair is taller than I had judged from our video calls. A bronze laurel wreath crown rests on his head, and his dress shirt and pants are free of any wrinkles. He looks immaculate.

He smiles at me a bit tentatively as he reaches the tarmac. We'd spoken while he would have been on the ship and yet he had not breathed a word of his coming. My stomach churns and not in anticipation of finally meeting him in person.

The three of us walk forward to greet him, and he bows.

"Tresais, Delta, Epsilon."

My nerves are jittery as he rises. I didn't expect for him to bow to us, not when he's the future heir to Amoria.

It was one thing to speak with him over video—it had been simply business, but now that we're in person, how will he judge me? Will he think me as incapable as the rest of Amoria's Order members believe and report back to his father that I should be removed as Tresais?

"Welcome Alastairi," August says.

"Sto soleil," the heir answers in Amorian. "And please call me Alastair." His eyes shift to me. "I know you weren't expecting me."

I clasp my hands behind my back. "This is quite the surprise."

"I want to help and didn't think I could do that very well from Amoria."

I nod, tersely. "We appreciate it. Greatly. We'll be leaving for France early tomorrow morning."

As the other ships land, full of soldiers, Alastair helps us direct them into the vans and buses ready to take them to the Estate, and all I want to do is ask him why he didn't tell me he was coming. After all the soldiers have departed, we return to our limo. Alastair sits in the back row with me while August and Eli sit on the sides, failing not to hide their blatant stares at the heir. I know they're wondering about the rumors surrounding him and that it's killing them not to be able to ask.

Some tiny part of me wants to ask if they're true.

I try calling Jonas to let him know that the troops from Amoria have arrived but end up going to voicemail. I immediately call my twin.

"Colton."

"Gwen." His voice wavers over my name.

"Where's Jonas?"