21 You Want Me to Work on Begging?

I want to dedicate this chapter to fanaticfictionlover and MikhaelaDustin  for not only the quotes they shared but for being such amazing and supportive readers! 

Colton~~

"There you are." Abella's deep green dress brushes along the marble as she quickly makes her way toward the entrance of the palace. You would think she was referring to the three of us, but it becomes clear when she draws closer that her eyes are on Bently. In that case, Iris and I will be going.

"Abella." Bently gives her a curt nod.

"Your highness." Iris and I, who will now be staying to fix his informality mess, say in unison.

"You were going to leave?"

"Only Iris," he says. "As my Preeminence's fiancée, her safety is paramount."

Abella's eyes land on Iris. "And yet you are still here."

"Colton convinced me to stay."

I place my hand on Iris's back. "Is there any news of my cousins?"

"Andrew has disappeared."

Is that supposed to be unfortunate?

Bently takes a step toward her, one of his hands flexing at his side. "I find it incredibly interesting that we entrusted my cousins with you, and you manage to lose both of them."

"Bently."

All three of them look at me with surprise. I've snapped at Bently plenty of times, but never in front of foreign dignitary. The fact I called him by his name and not his title makes the embarrassment worse for him.

"There is no need for your anger, Beta." Abella moves her gaze from me to Bently. "I can handle irritable men."

"Have you seen Vienna by any chance, your highness?" Iris asks.

"I believe she's in her room."

Iris's curtsies. "If you would excuse me." She hurries off.

No one may know where Andrew is, but Vienna is the only one who knows where Erik is.

"Please excuse me as well, your highness, and I'll leave you to handle my Digamma."

Abella waves her hand, dismissing me.

With that, I leave the two of them to do what it is they do. Whatever that is, I don't want to think about it.

*****

Vienna is indeed in her room along with Iris. How am I ever going to convince Vienna to tell me where Erik is?

I clear my throat. "Iris, get out."

"No."

"What?"

"I said no."

"I need to talk to Vienna."

Vienna crosses her arms which are completely bare, her dress strapless. Collarbones really are beautiful. Someone should write a letter to God expressing his ingenuity in creating them. "Colton, let her be."

"Exactly." Iris sits up straight on the bed, her legs crisscrossed. "If you want me out so badly, you're obviously not planning to talk to her."

Vienna's face reddens.

"Iris. Out."

She shakes her head. "I thought you needed my help. You did not just drag me all the way back here only to kick me out of this room."

"There isn't much time. Out. Now."

She doesn't budge. "Did you really leave Abella and Bently alone together?"

"They're the least of my concerns."

She folds her arms against her chest and looks off into the distance. The distance being the wall a few feet away. "There are too many people for me to chaperone."

I drag my hand down my face. "Please, just get out."

She slides off the bed. "Oh please? Why didn't you say so earlier?" When she reaches the door, she looks back at me. "Just think, I could have been on a plane right now."

When she's finally gone, I let out a deep sigh.

"What do you want?" Vienna tilts her head. "It had better be good after having to watch the two of you bicker."

I crack my knuckles. "How do I not make this sound cheesy and desperate?"

"I think I want to hear the cheesy and desperate version."

"You're my only hope," I drawl. "I need you." I count each sentence off on my fingers while I stare up at the ceiling. "I'm begging you from the bottom of my heart to help me."

"You need to work on your begging."

"I have plenty of time for that in the future. But currently I don't have any time. I did to find Erik."

"I promised him—"

"France is attempting to hunt him and Andrew down. They have an entire country's worth of knowledge behind them. I doubt it will take long for one of them to turn up. I have no need to interrogate either of them, while Abella and Alix have thirty dead bodies weighing on them for answers. Who do you think Erik will be safer with?"

"You want me to turn my back on Alix and Abella who took me in when I had nothing?"

"If you feel so indebted to Erik for breaking you away from the Society, then surely you'll feel it's your responsibility to protect him from those who would hurt him."

"Like you?" She tilts her chin up, jaw firm.

"As much as I would like to, frankly it's beneath me considering my family is in jeopardy." I take both of her hands. "Please, I'm begging you for real this time. Tell me where he is."

She pulls her hands away. "No."

"What?"

"I said no. Iris said the same thing to you, and you seemed to have trouble understanding it." She opens her door. "Please, excuse me, but I have things I need to do."