18 Cards

Iris~~

The look in Bently's eyes as he stares over his hand of playing cards can only be considered smug. "An ace of hearts and a five of clubs." He lays the two cards on the coffee table between us.

I feign disappointment, thumbing through my cards. "Sorry, I don't have any kings."

He discards three cards into the pile.

"I do have these though." I lay down two pairs: an ace of diamonds and a five of spades, and six of clubs and a ten of hearts. "I want my two kings back."

He passes them over and stands. The Digamma has been teaching me how to play Kelo Lo. An Amorian game.Bently told me he was the best at the Society's signature card game, but after beating him a few times and with a bit of texting (now that the Society knows where we are), I found out Tobias is the card shark of the Order. I tuck my knees under me and lean against the back of the couch as Bently steps behind the bar and sets two clean flutes on the counter. "Champagne?" he asks.

I glance behind me at my empty wine glass. "I shouldn't."

He pours the bubbling liquid into the flutes. "But we should."

I laugh, and he passes me a flute. I raise it to him. "To three weeks."

He salutes me back. "Three weeks."

We tip our glasses back.

Three weeks have passed since the Amoris killed the man at the ball, and nothing has happened since. Absolutely nothing. And when a murderer does absolutely nothing, it makes finding them hard. Colton's been busy with Vienna and will go down denying that he isn't. With Bently avoiding Abella, and I, Alix, Bently and I have been forced to entertain each other after a few days of doing utterly nothing. That's what I was doing anyway. Bently and Colton have been able to video call into work. Work. That sounds way too casual for two men who rule a country.

Bently finishes his flute and pours himself another. "More?"

"I'll wait until mine's empty."

I figured if Jonas had to choose between which man he'd rather his fiancée hang out with, he'd go with the one who's his chauvinistic cousin over the flirtatious king.

Bently sets the bottle of champagne on the coffee table between us. "I told you that this trip would make you drink."

"I hardly consider sitting in a room playing cards all day a trip."

"And I'd hardly consider spending every day with you a trip."

I raise my glass to him. "The feeling is mutual." I lean back. "I still wonder why you insist on spending everyday locked up in this parlor with me."

"You're better company than the princess."

I sip on my drink. "Mmmhhmm." Even when he's drunk, I can't get him to admit that there is something between him and Abella. It's exceedingly frustrating.

Someone slams their fist on the door. "Open this now." Colton.

Rolling my eyes, I make my way to the door, trying my best to remain steady. Once I open it, he nearly knocks me over to plow his way inside.

"You're playing cards at a time like this?"

I grip the handle after I shut the door. "At a time like what?"

He yanks at the sleeves of his shirt underneath his blazer. "The Amoris has been busy."

Bently takes a long drink before asking, "How busy?"

"How does a barn full of bodies sound?"