62 Alastair

Colton~~

Abella's shown me to a room where I can call my twin over video. The screen on the wall is the height of me. It will be the first time I've seen her—face-to-face—in weeks. This morning, Amoria's army landed in Elleany. When Gwen couldn't get in touch with Jonas, she told me to let him know she wants him on the call as well.

The last thing I need is him telling our sister I've locked him up against his will.

To save his life though. Not that I can explain that to Gwen.

Expired. My brother is Expired. Am I a fool not to have seen that? Could I have known?

We've had to take away his ability to contact the outside world. Abella and Alix know we're trying to prevent him from going down there but don't know he's Expired. As for everyone else—rumors run rampant around the palace about why he has not left his room in a week.

An alert appears on the screen that Gwen is ringing me. I answer to see her standing against a wall I recognize as being in her office because of the framed picture of the constellation Pisces, the zodiac sign that we share, hanging on the wall. Beside her is a young man that I identify immediately despite having seen so few pictures of him. Of stories, there have been plenty.

His black hair is thick but trimmed, and both he and my sister wear a black laurel wreath crown in their hair. His looks as though the blood of stars has been woven through it. He stands taller than my sister, his skin a slightly darker shade of olive than Mid'haa's. His purple eyes are alert and excited at the same time. Although the two of them don't touch, I'd like nothing more than to force him to take an extra step away from my sister.

"Beta, where is the Preeminence?" Gwen asks, her tone calm, but eyes narrowed. When I elected to ignore her request to have Jonas on our call, I didn't know she wouldn't be the only one joining us.

"In a meeting with King Alix. My sincerest apologies."

Gwen purses her lips; however, the man beside her smiles at me before looking down at her. She straightens her shoulders. "I'd like you to meet Alastairi Moretti. The future Preeminence of Amoria."

The heir dips his head. "Please call me Alastair. It was my father's decision to give me a name that rhymed, not mine."

I bow my head as well, the picture of composure even as my thoughts race, firing off a dozen curses in every language I know. "I must admit this is a surprise."

"The Tresais has been in contact with me regarding the circumstances in France," he says. "As I've always been fascinated by your world, I thought this might be my opportunity to see it." I'm certainly glad having our Digamma and future queen kidnapped by rogue Amoris has given him a chance to have a vacation. Truly, I am. "Please don't be cross with her for not informing you I was coming. She did not know until I arrived with my soldiers. I asked to be on this call rather last minute." He adjusts his crown. "I suppose it's clear I'm not yet ready to be Amoria's Preeminence." He chuckles in a self-deprecating way.

In any other Order, he would have assumed the role of Preeminence at twenty-one, but in the head Order, the transition of power doesn't happen until the Preeminence's heir turns thirty—ruling the world is a great deal harder than ruling a country or territory. Technically, as a year on Amoria is roughly equivalent to two years on earth, the age to start the transition is fifteen. Alastair would only be about eleven and a half on Amoria. I'd be considered ten.

I shake my head. "Think nothing of it, Alastair." My eyes drift to my sister. Something tells me he didn't come just to see Earth.

Alastair Moretti, Amoria's most elusive bachelor at twenty-three. He's developed a skill at avoiding compromising photos; though, that does nothing to stop the stories of his escapades. I heard he recently threw a party on the shores of Lake Britarney that boasted every type of debauchery imaginable.