74 Interrogation

Jonas~~

"Do you actually believe we've done something wrong, Alastairi?" Hands cuffed together, Anastasie sits ramrod in her metal seat, her head tilted up toward the heir. She speaks in Amorian.

Alastair leans against the dark gray wall of one of the palace's underground interrogation rooms, his arms crossed. It's been three days since we went down into the catacombs. Colton is still at the hospital. Vienna's in a limo on her way back to the palace. Bently will be visiting him later.

Alastair's face is drawn tight, none of his usual good humor present. "When Elleany took over the United States, Amoria sanctioned it. It was decided that would be the home for our kind on this planet."

Alix and Abella sit together along the wall, silent, their expressions tense. Mid'haa is right beside them. She hasn't stopped glaring at Odette since the Amoris was brought into the room. Gwen stands at Alix's side, translating for them. I can't hear what she says, but Tobias must not approve because he shoots her a dark look. He checked for any listening devices within the room before this session began. The twins assured us there would be nothing of the sort, but he didn't believe them. His search turned up nothing though.

"France is Elleany's ally. We never would have sanctioned a takeover," Alastair says. "When the United States was taken over, they did not go and murder citizens on the street. They did not capture them to slaughter later."

"My Beta and Tresais killed no one." Odette sits behind her Order, her face sunken in and dark circles curved underneath her eyes. Odette's head is also tilted up toward Alastair, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was trying to see his Expiration Date.

From the seat beside me, Iris grips my arm, her nails digging into my arm through my long-sleeved shirt. Her other hand grips the edge of her seat as if she's trying to keep herself from launching herself at Odette. If she chooses to, I have no plans to stop her.

Bently's tucked in a separate corner than the one Erik and Sebastian are in. He's trembling, his arms crossed.

"Whatever punishment you give me," she continues, "they do not deserve the same. Though I hold that we deserve no punishment. We only did what was necessary to create a new home here, one where we"—she motions to her Beta and Tresais—"might be members of an Order."

Gwen frowns.

"Can you blame us?" Odette asks her.

"I don't begrudge you your desires, but you killed innocents."

"It was necessary."

Iris leans forward in her seat. "You enjoyed it," she seethes. "You liked seeing their blood pool at your feet. And you liked making us watch." Her voice cracks at the end, and my heart breaks. I place my hand on her thigh, letting her know I'm here. She hasn't spoken much about what they endured down there, but at night while she sleeps, she clings onto me.

Odette smiles softly. "Didn't you enjoy stabbing me?"

Iris's nostrils flare.

Isabeau turns to Bently. "We knew you weren't truly ours. Still I had hoped you might eventually see the light and want to be one of us."

There is only the promise of death in Bently's eyes.

For the next three hours, we continue to question them. The questions mainly come from Alix, Abella, and Alastair.

After we're done for today, Odette, Isabeau, and Anastasie are led away to temporary cells, and I exit the room, Iris at my side.

Staff dressed in gray uniforms work behind desks. Others stand in front of televisions mounted on the walls, the screens showing views of sidewalks. Down the hallway in both directions are doors that lead to more interrogation rooms.