77 The Chapter in Which I Have to Convince Them Not to Elope

Iris~~

Leaning over the bathroom counter, I slip in the back of my emerald earring just as there's a knock on my door. I turn on my new phone that I purchased the day after my rescue to check the time. With the French government no longer trying to track us down, I'm able to freely use a phone without worry of being caught. I frown at the time. Jonas isn't supposed to be here for another fifteen minutes.

After yesterday when we visited the families of the victims, I told Jonas I needed to get away. Just me and him. A date was my idea, but I let him plan it.

Opening my bedroom door, I expect it to be Jonas and because of that, I don't fix on my face the fake smile I've been wearing in public.

But it's not Jonas.

It's Bently.

He adjusts the sleeves of his button up that's tucked underneath his blazer. "Hey."

"Hey."

Neither of us bother asking how the other is. We're both too aware we won't be okay for a long time.

"Do you have a minute?"

"A few. Jonas is picking me up soon." I pull the door open wider, and he steps in. The door feels heavier than usual when I shut it.

He takes a seat at the edge of my bed, a bed I haven't slept in since I've been back. "I wanted to explain my bargain with Odette."

"The one where she'd give you Abella?"

He sighs. "You would go on living and so would Abella. I knew if Odette won, she'd slaughter Abella and Alix. That's why I asked for her. To spare her."

I slip off the heels I had tried on moments ago. "Have the two of you talked?"

He nods. "With the Amoris captured, she wants to get serious with her relationship. We agreed the two of us could at least be friends and not try to tear each other's throats out."

"She does care for you, you know? Not in the way that you want but she does care."

"I don't want her that way anymore."

"But you—" He said her name. He imagined it was her when we were kissing.

"I still think she's attractive, but I don't want to date her."

I open my purse that sits on my dresser, making sure I have what I need inside. "There never would have been a dull moment for the Society if you two had gotten together."

He ducks his head, hiding a smile.

"How was Colton?"

"Irritable as usual."

"And you're always a ray of sunshine," I deadpan.

"I am."

I close my purse, the snaps catching. "If you ever need to talk about what happened, you can always come to me."

"Even on your honeymoon?"

I narrow my eyes. "You can call me, and I'll answer. I'll trust that if you do call, it's important."

"You trust me?"

"With my life, strangely."

"Iris, I—" He suddenly looks lost.

"What is it?"

"Nothing." He suddenly smiles. "I'm just really glad you're going to be a part of our family."

"You're stuck with me for life."

His smile falters, but he quickly puts another back up.

"What?"