Heroes, No Matter What They Say

The door closed before Mabel and Dipper could follow. When they tried opening it, it was heavier than a castle gate.

A trapdoor had opened up underneath Elizabetta and Zace, sending the two tumbling down. Right into the cave the twins were in.

William and Stan had managed to pluck out all but one of the crystals from the holes. The burrow seemed like it was having an earthquake.

Ben had climbed to the top of the strange machine, where there was a crawl space, and was trying to get a panel off. Ford was observing the buttons and switches, trying to see what they all meant.

Then, Ben ripped out a black wire and William pulled out the last gem.

The machines suddenly rumbled, and the floor under Ford disappeared. Ben perked up in surprise, hitting his head on the top of the area. "Stanford!" He yelled. Ford landed in the cave with the others, and William and Stan tumbled in after him. Once they stumbled to their feet, the group shouted up to Ben to stay put. Ford told him to figure out what was going on with the machine.

Zace looked around, feeling uneasy everywhere. He stepped toward the door and examined the handle. "It looks like a really big portcullis." He noticed Stan's confused stare, as if he was speaking backwards. "A door from the Middle Ages. What? You think I didn't learn a few things about you humans?"

He sighed, turning back to the door. He ran his finger along the hinges. "Completely sealed. Can't open this... unless..." He stepped back slightly.

"It's wood... flammable..."

William immediately jumped back, his eye wide with fear. Elizabetta stiffened. "I-I'm sure we can find another way inside!" She pleaded.

Zace looked at his mother, holding his arms out. "What other way can you find? The ground that opened to bring us down here has resealed, so we can't get the lever." There was a look of nervousness in his expression. He wasn't exactly thrilled to do this.

Elizabetta opened her mouth to protest, but her son stepped toward her. "Please, I need to do this. I need you to trust that I can control it. I need you to trust me." He pleaded. Mabel shuddered at his last sentence, remembering what Ida had said before she was pulled into the darkness. The demoness hesitated for a moment more, then nodded.

"I trust you..."

Zace Rey Cipher stood in front of the door, his eye flashing with determination. He held out his hands and relaxed his shoulders. "Stand back." He ordered. The group nervously stepped away, clearing his path completely.

Suddenly, fire shot from his hands. The flames were an emerald green, making the cave look like a forest for a moment. In his panic, Zace lost control. His hands were burned and wounded. The flames strayed away from the target, spreading. 'No.' He thought, fixating his vision on the door. The flames rushed away from the walls and scorched the door. The wood was quickly eaten away.

It was only a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity for the Ciphers. William had buried his face in his mother's cloak, and Elizabetta clenched her fists until her nails cut her palms.

Soon, the flames died out and the door was gone. Zace stumbled back, waving his hands to get the excess flames off his hands. Small burns were scattered on his hands. He winced, rubbing his fingers, which only made the burns hurt more.

"That wasn't completely and totally terrifying." Zace muttered sarcastically, looking into the abyss. William hesitantly walked over to Zace and looked down. "Creepy..." He whispered.

The younger shrugged. "Welp, I'm going in." He said. Zace tried to grab him, but William just tumbled into the abyss. Zace lost his balance and fell in right after. After a second of shock, Elizabetta followed, trying her best to not scream in panic.