No More Cardboard House

The first thing Ida felt when she woke up was very familiar to her. Pain.

She muttered several curses under her breath as she sat up. She looked around, but colors mixed together and she couldn't see much. Someone suddenly put their hand on her shoulder and set her back down. "Don't move. It'll mess with the bandages."

Ida said nothing, but complied while her vision cleared. Soon, colors went back into place and the fuzziness went away. She recognized the dark, wooden walls of the east wing. She was laying in the bed she'd been given to sleep in. She looked to the side and saw Ben. A surgical suture was tucked in his jacket pocket, and thread was in the other. "The tendril didn't go too deep. It took a lot of stitches though." Ben said. He wasn't particularly talking to Ida, more just talking at her. That was fine with Ida, since her ears were ringing.

"What happened?" Ida asked, plucking at the threads of her quilt. Ben clicked his tongue. "Long story short, Dad basically just ripped us out of his mindscape, we ran into the woods, got to the mansion, and I did a doctor thing." He said.

The ghost stared at him quizzically. "You 'did a doctor thing'?" She asked.

"I stitched up your wound and Zace used his manifestation powers to make more of your blood." He looked at the door, mumbling something about how different Zace was. Ida hummed a bit, flexing her fingers. "Are you feeling alright?" Ben asked.

Ida grumbled, hitting her palms against her head. "I feel like I'm causing too much trouble. I'm not worth all this worry." She said, her voice choking.

Ben stared at her in concern. "Ida... We're helping you because we want to. We care about you. Dad's been stressed as hell es-" Ida sat up immediately. "Let me see him!" Ben jumped a bit, surprised. "I-I can bring him-" Ida shook her head. "I want to go to him. I have accelerated healing, I'll be fine." She said. Ben hesitated again, picking at his nails.

"Fine. Just be careful, please." He sighed, helping her up. Ida stared at him for a moment, remembering a feeling that had been so foreign. Like when Ethan used to be kind. She scolded herself internally for thinking that. These people could never see her as family, could they?

Still, what Ben had said. "We care about you." He said it so casually, yet so full of heart. There was a sincerity in his voice that confused Ida. Was it true?

Bill was practically her whole life. So, to an extension, the rest of the Ciphers were her whole world, too, right? Even if she felt a slight resentment and fear that this would pull her away from Bill, there was still something positive she felt toward them.

Love...?

"Hey, it's okay. What I said is true. Our family does care about you." He said, smiling calmly at her. Ida stared at him, not exactly knowing what to say. Without another word, the two headed out of the east wing and into the front room. The rest of the Ciphers were there, sitting in comfortable silence.

Bill looked over and saw Ida - the girl he'd nearly lost a second time. She was standing there, with the same look of wonder on her face she had when she released him from the statue. Without another thought, he swooped over and picked her up. He tried not to cry as Ida hugged onto him.

There seemed to be a wave of joyful calmness that washed over the mansion. It rushed through the windows and through the trees, like a beautiful wind. It ran through to down, making curtains flow and leaves scatter.

Ida hadn't felt this in-place in years. It was like her place with the Ciphers had been just waiting there for her. They all talked and joked and ate. Nothing else mattered to them. They were happy.

All of them were happy.

Soon, night came, and one-by-one, the Ciphers went off to their quarters. William went first, slumping asleep on his mother's shoulder. Elizabetta picked him up and brought him upstairs. Then, Ben went off to rest. Then, Zace. Then, finally, Bill patted Ida's head and walked off.

Ida sighed, leaning back on the couch, and watching the stars sparkle like silver. Elizabetta looked at her and smiled. Ida felt nervous under her gaze. Ida was not easily intimidated, but the demoness radiated a power that one would be a fool to mess with.

The ghost opened her mouth to say something, but no voice came to her throat. Elizabetta furrowed her brow. "Are you-..." The demoness shook her head. "Nevermind. I have a gift for you." She said. Ida looked at her incredulously. "Well, Bill told me that you love animals, so I thought these could be a practice." She said, summoning something in her hands. "Practice...?" Ida mumbled.

In Elizabetta's hands appeared small, red-and-white fish, swirling in magic water. "Since they come from my magic, they won't die easily, and they won't attack each other." She said. She slipped the fish into Ida's hands, watching as the girl's eyes lit up in wonder. "Consider it a housewarming gift." She smiled brightly.

Ida looked up at her curiously. "Housewarming gift?" She asked.

Elizabetta nodded, her aura glowing. "Of course! We're very happy to have you in the family!" She paused for a moment. "Well, if you w-"

"Family..." A smile spread across Ida's face. Tears glittered in her eyes. "Y-you really mean that?" Her voice cracked with a near-sob. Elizabetta reached over, lifting the girl's chin. "Ida, I've known you for such little time, but I feel as if you're already my daughter. I would be honored if you took me as your mother."

Ida nearly screamed with joy. "I'm a Cipher!" She hugged Elizabetta.

Finally...