Chapter 15: Dismay and New Bonds

The situation was tense, to say the least. Jewel and (Y/N) were stumped on what to do. The two had been trying different strategies relentlessly, seeing if there was any possible way to get the cage to budge. Now, (Y/N) perched sullenly on the smooth metal floor of the cage, while the tapping of Jewel's pacing talons barely overcame the sounds of celebration outside. Carnaval was a time for joy and laughter, one of the year's most significant events, yet here they were listening to the smuggler's horrible chicken impressions.

The (color) canary took the time to reflect, just on everything in her life. Her last words to her brother were filled with anger and bitterness, and the remorse for those moments cut deep into her like a knife. Blu was easily one of the most aggravating birds she'd ever met, he worried too much and risked too little all his life, and scorned her for not doing the same. Even then, though, he was the only truly stable thing in her life. He was her family, and she loved him and wanted him happy no matter what. Even if he had been unnecessarily rude, she shouldn't have pushed him like that, she should have just supported Blu and been there for him no questions asked. The canary didn't even feel jealous of Blu's more obvious attachment to Linda, she had no idea where that thought had come from.

'Maybe you just never wanted to admit it was there.' The thought resonated in her head like a chord. She had attached to Nico quickly, at an unusual speed, and (Y/N) could never figure out why. At that moment, though, she realized it was because when he looked at her, he only saw her. There was no one else in the world besides them, they connected in a way that could make them escape any troubles they had and just rely on one another. Nico brought out the fire and wildness in her, challenged the danger cravings in her brain, and she kept him light as a feather yet tethered to the main objective. Linda and Blu never connected with her in that way, and even though she loved both of them with all of her heart, she knew that they would never let her grow in any capacity. She was never either of their first priorities, and it would be selfish to ask them to view her like that, however with Nico, he always put her first. Even in moments when she was unsure, he held out an encouraging wing to her and brought her along for the ride. (Y/N) liked how he made her feel, and she couldn't go back to the dull routine of her life now. Not after how much life had been brought to her from this place.

(Y/N) blinked and sighed. None of that would even matter in a couple of hours, they were getting shipped off to some godforsaken place with no room to fly or even possibly stand. Jewel was trying once again to pick at the latch of the cage, and (Y/N) fluffed her feathers in frustration. "The latch is one of those stupidly complicated ones, there's no way to open it without outside assistance."

"So what, you're just gonna give up then?" Jewel retorted, tapping one of her talons irritatedly. "You and Blu really are siblings."

"You're going to waste all your energy on an escape plan that's not going to work, you can call that giving up but I see it as logical." (Y/N) snapped back. Then, she sighed. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so..."

"I get it, don't worry." Jewel sighed, looking down sadly. "All of that work, everything I did just to end up back in a cage. I tried so hard just to go home, and what do I get for it? A broken heart and being trapped on a chicken float."

(Y/N) couldn't help but quietly snort at how ridiculous all of this sounded. "If you had told me a year ago I'd be in this situation right now, I would've thought someone slipped something in your drink."

Jewel quietly chuckled, relaxing a bit and perching herself. The two were quiet for some time, listening to the cheers and banging drums. Beats passed before the blue macaw spoke again. "If you were out of this cage right now, would you go back home?"

"No." (Y/N)'s answer was almost immediate, as she had already pondered this question before. "I can't. Not after feeling what it's like to truly be alive. Flying in the air, no restrictions, just a fresh breeze and sun. I never realized that it made you feel so..."

"Free." The two said in unison, and both laughed softly.

"I wish you could make him see it that way." Jewel sighed. "Even after everything we've seen and done, he wants to go back home. I don't get it, I thought he enjoyed Rio, I thought he enjoyed me! But all he cares about is going back to his stupid owner."

"It's... a lot more complicated than that." (Y/N) sheepishly said. "He's always been so afraid, ever since smugglers got him when he was a baby. Linda was his safe person, doing something without her would feel like life or death to him. But I have to admit, he seems like he's actually changed since he met you. He's less reluctant, and not always paranoid about what's around every corner. Even if you can't tell, you've brought out a whole new side of him."

Jewel smiled shyly at that, and a comfortable silence fell over them. Any tension that was between them slowly melted away, revealing a new understanding of one another. 

The moment was broken by a familiar cold screech, and the two birds immediately were up and on their guards. A flash of feathers flew past them and into the cage next to the (color) canary. Nigel swooped down and locked the cage door menacingly. "Now just one more to go, pretty birds..."

The cockatoo was gone in a blur of white, and before (Y/N) could spit some profanities in his direction, the glimmer of a bottle cap caught her (color) eye. "Nico!"

The yellow canary scrambled up, Rafael and Pedro following close behind. "(Y/N)! Jewel! We thought we lost you guys."

"Where's Blu?" Jewel asked immediately, concern flashing in her eyes.

"He was right behind us with Louis. Scared half the performers to death." Rafael said, smoothing out some of his feathers. "Nigel got the jump on us after we spotted y'all."

Jewel and (Y/N) exchanged a worried glance with each other, Nigel was being handed everything on a silver platter. As if speaking his name summoned him, Blue heaved himself in between the white float clothes into the room with cages. "Hey, Jewel, (Y/N)."

"Blu!" Jewel whisper-yelled, panic on her features.

"I'm gonna get you out of here." The male macaw said and started picking at the lock on the cage.

"No- no Blu you can't be here. You have to go, Nigel-"

Jewel was cut off by a flash of white ramming into Blu with a grunt, shoving him into an open cage. "Hello, pretty bird."

Nigel shut the cage door menacingly, "So kind of you to join our little soiree!"

"Oh come on, you really think I came alone?" Blu puffed his chest out, boastfully. "I got three of the roughest, meanest, craziest birds in all of Rio right behind me." (Y/N) cringed at every word, pity swelling up in her chest.

It worsened when Pedro exclaimed, "Woohoo! You heard that guys? We're saved! That's right, that's right-"

"Uh, I think he means us." Rafael sheepishly said, and Pedro's face dropped.

"Oh."

"Ah, love. It's such a powerful and stupid thing." Nigel said cruelly, before smirking at the two macaws and flying to his owner. Blu and Jewel shared a sad look with one another. Sad silence enveloped the inside of the float, Nigel's plan had worked. He won. Now, they were all doomed.

See I haven't completely forgotten about this book. Tee hee anyways hope you guys enjoyed this, I wanted to give a bit of character building between those two and just use this kinda as a filler for the real juicy stuff after this. Comment, share, and votes bbgs

-Oleander