Chapter 12: Freedom?

By the time they had reached their destination, the sky had gone dark and was now a navy blue. Warm streetlights lit the ground outside of a building. The building was dirty, with a yellow sign that read "Mecanico" in red writing hanging over the entrance. There was a chain-link fence as the door, and it was cracked slightly open. Blu and Jewel climbed down the side of the trolley, while Nico, Pedro, and (Y/N) flew down from the roof to meet them on the ground.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Luiz's garage!" Raphael said, flying inside. Nico and Pedro followed closely behind, and (Y/N) perched herself on top of Blu's head. Blu walked forward, opening the fence door more.

"After you," Blu said.

"No no, you first," Jewel said sheepishly.

The two continued to talk over each other until they both moved forward to go inside at the same time and bumped heads. (Y/N) rolled her eyes.

"Fine, I'll go first then." (Y/N) said, exasperated, and flew off from Blu's head to go inside. The garage was dark, with tools scattered around the floor and on a wooden workbench. Two broken down cars were there too, the dust on their windows showing that they hadn't been moved in a long time.

(Y/N) flew beside Nico. "So this is it huh? Blu and I are finally going home."

"Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Bet this stuff doesn't happen at tiny soda huh?"

"Tiny soda--? Oh, you mean Minnesota!" (Y/N) snickered.

Nico blushed and chuckled sheepishly, "Yeah. Hey, I never asked you, what's it like there?"

"Extremely cold." (Y/N) said immediately, causing Nico to snicker. "It's freezing in the winter, there's snow for miles. Well, at least I assume there's snow for miles, I never went outside the bookshop when I was there."

"If you'd never been outside before this, were you born in the bookstore then--?" Nico asked, and (Y/N) laughed.

"God no, Linda found me in a bush after I fell out of my nest. My mother never came looking for me, so she took me in. I was too young to remember much about what the outside looked like though..." (Y/N) trailed off, a lost look in her eyes. There were three things she remembered about the day Linda found her. The smell of sap on the tree, the feeling of fear and confusion from losing her nest, and the sudden feeling of safety as Linda picked her up out of the bush.

"Your mom didn't come back for you?" Nico asked softly, a sad look in his eyes.

"Yeah... but it's her loss." (Y/N) chuckled, trying to shrug off the jab of pain in her heart. She spent a lot of time wondering why her mom never came looking for her growing up, and it's why she formed such a close bond with Blu. She had extreme abandonment issues, she always thought she needed Blu around.

The (color) canary snapped out of her thoughts as yellow wings wrapped around her in a warm embrace.

"I'm sorry," Nico mumbled, and (Y/N) blushed and smiled. She returned the embrace and sighed.

"It's alright. It doesn't bug me as much anymore." (Y/N) said with a smile. The two didn't move from the embrace though. The (color) canary found herself thinking about how much she was gonna miss this when she left for home, these special little moments that seemed to make the rest of the world disappear.

"Luiz! Are you here Luiz?" Raphael called out, causing (Y/N) to snap out of her thoughts and pull away from the hug. "Hey buddy, I got some friends I want you to meet."

Suddenly, barking fills the air and the hood of one of the cars pops open. A large bulldog comes leaping out of the car and starts running straight at the birds. (Y/N) and Nico shriek and take flight in a panic. (Y/N) stops when she sees the bulldog starting to chase after Blu.