prologue

Elaina Cooper was unpacking the last of her belongings into her new apartment, shared with her friends Sam, Tara, and a new girl Quinn. It was a packed place, but it wasn't too bad. 

"How's it going?" Mindy asked, taking a spot on Elaina's bed.

"Fine. It's a new start, you know? We gotta move on." She replied.

"I know, but that doesn't mean to forget it all. It's okay to not be okay, Lain." The Meeks-Martin girl comforted.

Elaina looked at her nightstand, a small box full of things that once belonged to her former love. Her heart ached from the sight of it, yet she couldn't bring herself to part with it. 

"Hey, Wes would want you to be happy, to move on. He loved you so so much, and you'll always love him. But don't let a dead guy hold you back."

"Yeah, I know. I just miss him, is all. I only kept a few things." Elaina replied.

The few things included a candid photo of the two, looking at each other smiling, eyes full of love. His blue crewneck that Elaina loved to take. No matter how much Wes complained, he never meant it. He loved the sight of seeing his girlfriend in his favorite shirt. Lastly, in the small box, was a green rubber duck. Sure, it may seem silly, but one of the first times the two hung out on their own, as little kids, Elaina had won it in a machine and gave it to Wes. From that day on, it had a special place on his nightstand, until the day he died. He truly did love Elaina.

"I'm going to go meet Anika for lunch. She's my roommate." Mindy said. "Do you wanna come?"

"No, it's okay. I'll probably go see what Chad and whatever poor guy got stuck with him." Elaina replied.

Elaina Cooper was a lot of things. She was strong, beautiful, smart, a little sassy, but the girl struggled. A lot. But her whole life, she had a really great facade, and she was not going to give it up just because of one thing that happened to her. She was slowly fading away, breaking piece by piece. And she was going to do everything in her power to make sure no one would notice. Elaina Cooper was a lot of things, but she did not want to be a pity-wanting burden.