chapter nine| all too well

chapter nine: all too well

aka broken promises

Elaina and Ethan quickly made their way to the theater.

"She'll be okay right?" Elaina asked her boyfriend.

"Yeah, she'll be fine. Don't worry about her right now Laina, focus on you being safe tonight." Ethan responded, their pinkies entwined.

Elaina realized she could be walking into the same place where she would die. Granted, she was coming to terms with the fact she was living a life she didn't enjoy, but it still freaked her out. What if this was the last day she had with Ethan? "I'll be fine, E. I don't know why Ghostface didn't kill me at Gales. Whatever happens, happens. There's no changing that."

Ethan stopped walking, making Elaina stop too. He looked her in her eyes, "Elaina, you know I love you with my entire life. I would do anything for you. I love you, so so much."

Before Elaina could say she loved him too, Ethan planted his lips against hers, his hands making their way to her lower back and her head.

The last kiss.

After a long few seconds, they pulled away and Elaina hugged Ethan tight. "I love you. I'm sorry if I haven't said it enough, E. I love you so much and I don't know what I would do without you. Promise me you'll be careful and not stupid? No trying to be the hero. That never works out."

Ethan entwined their pinkies once more. "Promise."

The group met up with Kirby, a block away from the abandoned theater. Her eyes quickly shifted through everyone, realizing there were people missing. "Where's Elaina? Where's Ethan and Mindy?"

Tara saw how worried Kirby was already. "They're 5 minutes behind us."

Kirby visibly relaxed. "So she's safe? They're all safe?"

Chad spoke up, "I haven't gotten a text from any of them in a while. But I'm sure they're fine."

"Let's get you guys inside." Kirby said, scanning the keycard, opening the metal cage. "I cleared the whole place before you got here. This is the only way in or out. He steps in through the first door, both doors lock automatically, trapping him inside. We turn it into a kill box."

Sam nodded. "Weapons?"

Kirby smiled. "One gun- and I hold onto it. I am the only one with a badge here and that's the way it's gonna be. We're safe here."

"I'm gonna check in with Mindy, make sure they're on their own way." Sam informed, stepping away from the group.

Chad shouted, "Make sure Elaina's okay too. I still have her medicine, she was supposed to take it before the train."

Ethan and Elaina arrived at the theater, realizing they had no way of getting in.

"I'll call Kirby or Chad." Elaina shrugged.

"No, we can just find a way in. There has to be another door." Ethan replied, looking around the alleyway. "Look, there's one right there."

Elaina scoffed. "Yeah, I doubt that one is unlocked, Ethan. Kirby checked out this whole place, making sure it was safe, and-"

Her comment was cut short as Ethan twisted the knob, opening the door. "Oh."

Why would the door be unlocked? It seemed like Ghostface wanted them to go in that way. Elaina couldn't help but think that maybe she was wrong. What if Ethan was Ghostface? She couldn't name another reason for why he knew the door would be unlocked. No, he couldn't be. They were in love, he loved her. He wouldn't hurt her, he said so himself. Elaina quickly pushed away the thoughts, leaving her feeling guilty for even thinking her boyfriend could do such a thing.