chapter seven| how'd you sleep?

chapter seven: how'd you sleep?

aka: ethan's not a virgin!

The ride to the hospital was practically silent. Elaina didn't know what to say. 'hey, sorry I ruined our plans because I'm a dumbass who thought I could make a difference?'

Definitely not. Ethan was at a loss for words. He didn't know that she would get hurt. His sister was a stickler for the rules- for the plan. And the plan was that Ethan got Elaina, all to himself. Now, the Kirsch family didn't necessarily need to kill Elaina. She wasn't the one who killed Richie, and she even felt bad for him. Ethan told his family that, hoping it would take the target off his love. It clearly didn't. If worse came to worse, Ethan wanted to be the one to kill Elaina. He would make it quick and painless. His father or sister would do the opposite. Ethan once thought that he wasn't a killer, and he wouldn't be able to do it. But stabbing Anika and then send her to her death gave him a burst of energy. He would cringe whenever he thought about the noise her head made against the dumpster, but remembered her face. When she realized she wasn't going to make it. Maybe he was more like his family than he thought.

Elaina was quickly rushed into a room, receiving stitches in the back of her shoulder.

"You okay?" Ethan asked, looking at Elaina's gloomy face.

"Yeah, it just hurts a little. I'll be fine, I've been stabbed before, and I probably will be again." She joked.

Ethan felt guilt rise in him. "Hey, don't say that, Lain."

She laughed. "What? In all honesty, it probably isn't. Like I'm being so for real. It sucks, but that's what I get for being friends with her, I guess."

Amber was still too touchy to name. Elaina felt like if she spoke her name, she would walk through the door and engulf her into a hug. Like she used to. But Elaina knew that wouldn't happen.

Ethan shifted his weight awkwardly. "Well, I'll try being there to protect you."

Elaina smiled at the boy in front of her, red rushing to her cheeks. "Thanks, E."

Somehow, Elaina didn't need crutches. Just a gray walking boot. Two hours later, her and Ethan were on their way out of the hospital. The sun was gone, the only light being from street lights.

For the first time, Elaina was ready to admit she was scared. Just like always, her hands were clung around Ethan's arm, seeking support.

"Do you want to stay?" Elaina asked as the two approached her apartment. "I really don't want to be alone."

Ethan wanted to, he truly did. "You won't be alone, you have Tara, Sam, and Mindy."

Elaina looked at Ethan's eyes. "Yeah, but no you."

Ethan felt his heart grow 3x the size, all for Elaina. "Yeah, sure. I'd like that."

"Oh fuck no." Mindy exclaimed, seeing Lain walk into the apartment with Ethan.

"Mindy, it's fine. I'm literally making him stay." Elaina explained.

"He's ghostface. I know it." Mindy accused.

"Well, then I have a death wish, I guess." Elaina said, not wanting to deal with Mindy's antics.

"Thought you guys were meeting us at the hospital?" Ethan asked, pulling the attention off of him.

Chad spoke up. "We were, but Bailey wanted to talk about our plan for tomorrow."

Ethan sighed. "You guys are such great friends to Elaina, I love it."