chapter ten| ethan kirsh

chapter ten: ethan kirsh

aka: betrayal 

Ethan's curly hair and enchanting smile appeared from under the mask. Elaina felt as if the world had stopped. Her heart was shattered into a million pieces by the same boy who healed her heart in the first place. Elaina could only hear her broken heartbeat, eyes fixated on her boyfriend. Yet his eyes didn't meet Elaina's.

"Mindy was right. It was easy to juke the roommate lottery." Ethan said with a sinister smile. "I mean, all I had to do to meet you, was room with a conceited, condescending alpha, literally named Chad. Fuck, it felt good to kill him!"

Elaina almost threw up.

Ethan held his mask up. "This was your grandmothers, Sam. Nancy Loomis. Really runs in the fucking family, doesn't it?"

Elaina found it in her to speak up. "Ethan-"

The murderer ignored her. "Speaking of which..."

Bailey added with a giddy laugh, "Wait for it!"

"My name's not Ethan Landry, is it Dad?" Ethan announced.

Sam and Tara shared a look of betrayal and shock, but nowhere as bad as their friend. The Cooper girl was looking straight ahead, lost in her own thoughts.

"Dad?" Tara asked.

Bailey just laughed some more.

"Wait. If it's you two, that just leaves... Mindy?" Sam accused, praying she was wrong. How could Mindy do this to them? She knew the pain of being chased and tormented like pray, why inflict it on her friends again?

The only remaining masked ghostface tilted their head before taking the mask off, revealing one of the girl's 'dead' roommates. "Hey Roomies. Didn't see that one coming, did you?"

Tara gasped. "Yeah, because you died!"

Quinn replied back casually. "Kinda didn't though. It was a good way to get off the suspect list. Stab Gale Weathers, stab Elaina, stab Mindy on the train. That sort of thing."

Bailey put his arms around his two children happily. "Yup, and I just made sure I was first on the scene so I could switch her body out with a fresh one. A little fake blood, a prosthetic. It's amazing what a grieving father can get away with."

Elaina only half heard what was being said. Her mind was running wild with the realization of Ethan being a killer. The love of her life, the boy she loved. The boy who cheered her up whenever she was sad. The boy who slept next to her, comforting her when she had nightmares. The boy she put all her trust and love into. Should Elaina have trusted her head and not her heart? Absolutely. He was the one who killed one of her best friends. He stabbed Anika and made her plummet to her death. He killed Chad, Elaina's brother. The guy who knew Elaina better than anyone else. Why did Elaina not feel anger? Why did she not want to immediately kill him, like Sam did to Richie? Why did she not resent him? Why did she still love him?

"I'm gonna need you to put it on." Bailey instructed Sam.

The eldest Carpenter responded by slapping the mask out of his hands. "Fuck you."

The loud outburst brought Elaina back to reality, eyes searching for Ethan. The three killers circled the victims, Ethan right behind Elaina and Sam.

Ethan lunged forward, slicing Sam's arm open. "Oooo!"

Elaina couldn't believe it. The same guy who cared for Elaina's cuts on her thighs and arms once before, cutting someone else's arm.

"You stay the fuck away from her!" Tara shouted.