vigilante

(Dabi's POV)

"Would you all just finish that fucking thing off?" I yelled at the heroes who looked dumbstruck by the fact I was helping them out. No, I wasn't helping them, I was helping Shinju. That's what I was doing. Keigo was the first one to react, leading everyone out of their daze.

Once I knew I could leave them and be fine to go after Shinju, I did. I used my flames to follow the scuffs and scraps of where her body was thrown after the blow, my breath hitching when I saw them end and lead directly to a lake. Without a second thought, I ran into the water, getting deeper with every step whilst frantically screaming her name. Each yell became more and more desperate, until I was practically begging for her to be okay.

"Didn't you say you couldn't wait to celebrate my death?" I heard whispered in my ear, causing me to whip around and become face to face with her. She was wearing a knowing smile while I glanced over every part of her, looking at her injuries. "Do you suddenly care, Dabi?"

"Toya," I grabbed her hand, placing it against my face and sighing at its warmth. "Toya never left-"

"He was just scared. I know." She smiled sadly, staggering in the water. I caught her quickly, lifting her up to see a stab wound to her abdomen. With a curse, I quickly made my way out of the water and took my coat off, tying it tightly around her waist.

"You dumbass, why didn't you tell me?" I seethed, glancing at her face to see her eyes closed. I felt fear spike in my chest, quickly grabbing the back of her neck and bringing her lips to mine, causing her to startle awake. She looked at me confused, going to speak but I cut her off. "I will kiss you a thousand times over if that's what it takes for you to keep your eyes open. Don't. Close. Your. Fucking. Eyes."

She looked away, a red tinge making its way to her cheeks. I looked away slowly, focusing on trying to slow the blood before I heard her cough, seeing crimson dripping down the side of her mouth.

"Fuck!" I quickly rolled her onto her side, letting the blood safely drain out of her mouth.

With a cough, she smiled up at me. "I'm afraid that no matter how many times you may kiss me, it's my time to go."

"Don't." I ordered, lowering my head as my voice cracked. "Please, don't leave me again, Pearl."

A warm hand met my cheek, causing me to look at her small smile. "It's okay. I'm finally free from all the suffering in my life. Goodbye, Toya."

"I don't want to say goodbye because this one means forever..." I whispered.

"Then see you later, my sapphire."

I felt my heart pang painfully as her eyes closed and her hand slipped from my cheek. If I could cry, I know my tears would be dripping down onto her as I saw her face relax and her breathing become shallow. A familiar, raging anger bubbled in my chest, the flutter of wings causing me to unleash a scorching wall of blue. Preventing the person from seeing or taking Shinju, I hugged her body closer to mine, trying to save its warmth.

"Dabi!" I heard Kiego yell over the cracking of the flames. "Dabi, lower the flames! I can still save her!"

I only lowered the flames because he almost sounded as desperate as me. Standing face to face with him, tears freely falling from his face as he looked over Shinju. He raced forward, causing me to ignite a small barrier of fire.

"Dabi, she's going to die of blood loss if you don't give her to me!" Keigo pleaded.

With a sigh I put out the flames, "You will find a way to get me into the hospital freely, without any troubles. Understood?"

Keigo nodded, quickly flying off with Shinju after I gave her to him. I watched her slowly disappear from view before turning and walking back to where the battle took place. I saw most of the league tied up, but the Nomu was still causing havoc.

"Oi, Dabi!" I heard Shoto yell, causing me to turn and ignite my flames in warning. "Look, you can either help, or you can go with the rest of your group. Your choice."

"Why the hell would I want to help you or go with them? They'd kill me on the spot for betraying them." I scoffed.

"Then help us defeat that thing." Shoto said, pointing at the Nomu.

"Why should I?" I glared, crossing my arms.

"God, you're like a child." I heard him mutter, rubbing his temples. "Because then you have a chance of being known as a vigilante and not just a villain. You have a shot of actually having a life with Shinju that won't require you to constantly be hiding."

I made a more-or-less motion, "Fair enough."

I stepped out of the woods and into the clearing, keeping a steady, but increasing in temperature, flames aimed directly at the Nomu's head. I could feel everyones shocked stares, along with the villains' judgemental ones. Soon enough, Shoto joined me, and upon seeing I wasn't going to burn him to ashes, all the other heroes joined too.

When the Nomu was finally defeated, I expertly snuck away from everyone and everything. Sinking into the alleyways, I climbed through a familiar window, laying on a bed and breathing in Shinju's perfume. The house was silent as it always was, no thanks to her parents.