explaination

(Dabi's POV)

My footsteps were light taps against the marbled tile floor as I snuck through the corridor and into the room Keigo had given me, stating it was Shinju's room. I stepped in, softly closing the door and locking it before making my way over to her bedside, pulling up a chair.

I raked my gaze up her battered and beaten body, eyes lingering on the reddened patch of bandage on her stomach. A broken sigh left my lips as I placed my head on her bed, holding her hand. I felt a small, almost unnoticeable squeeze, causing my head to snap up, only to still see her eyes shut and her soft breathing.

A shaky breath left my lips, before speaking. "Y'know, you really fucked me over. If I ever go near the league again, or even try to break them out, I guarantee I'll be killed before I could even try to create an excuse."

A pause. "But that means I get to be with you, so I guess it's a reasonable trade."

"I realized you never really knew what happened, other than what you had heard on the news after you left. That's if you were able to watch it with that hag..."

A flash of Keigo's wings and smug smile flashed behind my eyes, causing me to flick my gaze over to Shinju and see more color returning to her face. She's waking up...

"The first to betray me was a god, my creator... my father." I said slowly. "The second was a human, my... friend. The third was one... exactly like me. A hope for the future, a fledgling barely out of the nest."

"Humans." Shinju whispered, peaking an eye open and offering a weak smile towards me.

I stood, holding her chin in my hand as I kissed her softly. "They can't be trusted."

"Good thing I'm not human." She smirked, causing me to chuckle.

"Chiyoko, my pearl, please, don't ever scare me like that again." I whispered, hiding my face in her neck. I felt her slowly rub my back, soothing me.

"I can't promise anything."

I sighed, understanding. "Just be careful from now on. And be mine."

She raised a brow. "Are you asking me to be your girlfriend after I just woke up from being in a short coma?"

"No. I'm asking you to marry me." She looked at me with wide eyes and flushed cheeks, causing me to smile. "You can start with girlfriend, but I'm never letting you leave me. One day, Chiyoko, I will make you my wife and marry you."

"Okay..." She replied, pulling me down for another kiss.