Accidents happen

Imagine- Melanie accidentally drinks gin

Mrs Lovett was on her break and she had gone out shopping for more ingredients for her shop. She had to make sure she was fully stocked, otherwise she couldn't make her delicious (not so delicious years ago) pies and sell them to her customers, making loads of money.

Sweeney was still in his shop, tending to a customer who not only wanted a shave, but a soothing skin massage. Yay, Sweeney loved those... NOT!

god, it was one thing to shave those customers beards or mustaches, but to actually touch their skin, it made Sweeney want to barf all over the customer! But he still complied because that was part of his job.

Melanie was downstairs, walking into the pie shop. She walked to the window, her hands behind her back and her eyes scanning outside, watching people walk by or horses going by with carriages. Some were even walking their dogs, which was cute.

She smiled to herself before starting to walk to the counter. Next to her was a table and there was a glass of what seemed to be water. There wasn't a lot left so Might as well finish it, right?

Melanie grabbed the glass and drank the last remaining bit of... oh wait... that's not water. Why was her throat all of a sudden on fire?!

Oh fuck no.

Melanie slammed the glass down on the table, her throat immediately burning from the taste. Her body hunched over and she started coughing and gagging, her eyes scrunched close. She leaned against the table, one hand on her stomach as she violently coughed.

It was fucking gin! FUCKING GIN! Melanie should have known, especially because Sweeney was known to drink gin. Nellie, not so much, but Sweeney, yes. But by no means was he an alcoholic.

Then there were hands on her back and shoulder, rubbing them. "Oh my god, Melanie, are you alright? What the hell happened?" It was sweeney rubbing her back as she coughed violently, her throat still burning like hell. Melanie couldn't speak, all she could do was cough violently and fight the urge to vomit.

Sweeney's eyes averted to the empty glass on the table and it hit him, his eyes widening and a small chuckle leaving his lips. Oh shit, he had forgotten about the gin. He felt bad for laughing because he hoped his daughter was alright. But he hated to admit that it was a little bit funny.

"Did you finish my gin?" He asked and Melanie was able to finish coughing, but her eyes still watered like crazy. She looked at him and gave a nod, her hand moving to her chest.

"Y-yes... I'm so sorry, I-I had expected it to be water. O-oh my shit... my chest burns!" She said with a laugh, even though her throat still burned and her chest did hurt. Quite a bit actually. Sweeney couldn't even be mad. Yes, Melanie shouldn't be drinking but she had no idea that it was his gin. Plus, even though her chest hurt, she was laughing it off

"No no, don't apologize my love. Here, let me get you some water." He said before walking to the cabinets and opening them, grabbing another clean glass and filling it with water. As she sat down in one of the chairs, he handed her the glass of water and she took it, her free hand rubbing her chest.

"How do you even drink that stuff, papa? Holy crap, that burns!" She exclaimed before taking a sip of water, instantly feeling it soothe her throat. Her eyes were still watering, her chest still hurting. It wasn't super painful but it was still uncomfortable. 

He sat down next to her, chuckling to himself once more. "I'm not sure, my dove. I just like the taste. But one or two glasses of it is enough for me. I don't need to have the whole bottle." He joked but also being serious. He wasn't an alcoholic. He knew his limit and having one or two was absolutely enough for him.

The door to the shop opened and in walked Nellie with a bag of groceries in her hand. As she closed the door and started making her way to the counter, she saw Sweeney sitting down next to Melanie and the first thing she noticed where her watery eyes.

"O my gosh, are you alright? Are you upset about something, darling?" She asked as she quickly set the bag down on the counter before making her way over, sitting across from them.

Melanie and Sweeney shared a glance, trying to fight back laughter. But Melanie snorted and covered her mouth before burying her face In her forearms, feeling very embarrassed. Sweeney playfully rolled his eyes before speaking.

"Long story short, I had left my glass of gin on the table and she drank it, expecting it to be water." He laughed and Nellie covered her mouth, trying to stifle laughter.

"Oh dearie, you know that your father drinks gin! I meself can't stand gin but your father on the other hand can. But why- You didn't even think to smell it?" She asked and Melanie lifted her head up, looking to the side a moment before face palming.

"Oh my god I didn't even think of that. I'm so stupid." She groaned and Sweeney placed a hand on her back.

"You're not stupid, sweetie. But now you know- don't drink from a random glass if you don't know what it is. Who knows, it could be poison!" He joked and Melanie shook her head.

"Why would you have a glass of poison on the table? Tryna to kill me?" She teased and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, gently bringing her head to his chest and kissing her forehead.

"Wouldn't even dream of it, baby girl. Just be more careful next time, okay?" He asked and she looked up at him before looking at her mother who took her hand in hers over the table.

"I won't, I promise.