Sing like an angel

Mrs. Lovett... actually, let's just call her Nellie from now on. Nellie Todd to be exact. Since she is married to Sweeney Todd.

Her and her husband were in the living room, reading by the fireplace. It was around 8:00 pm and they weren't even the slightest bit tired.

"I can't stand those little buggers crawling under plates and dishes." Nellie said with a groan as she rubbed her head. Sweeney couldn't help but smirk playfully as he looked at his wife. "We will figure it out, my love."

Before Nellie could say something else, they heard something. It sounded like... singing?

And it was coming from Melanie's room. No way... could she be singing?

They looked at each other before setting their books down and slowly walking upstairs. When they got to her door, they listened carefully. She had a beautiful voice. Just as beautiful as Nellie.

Then... Sweeney recognized the song she was singing. It was a song that Sweeney used to sing to her when she was a little girl, whenever she had a nightmare.

My sweet little dove, don't be afraid.
Nothings gonna harm you, my sweet girl
My darling, You are safe with mama and papa.
You always have and always will be
Nothings gonna harm you, not while I'm around. (I don't know. This is just a quick thing I made up. Welp)

Sweeneys eyes began to water as he listened to his little girl sing. After all these years, he never thought he would hear his precious baby sing. Especially that song.

Nellie looked at him, frowning when she saw a tear fall down his cheek. She gently grabbed his hand. "Are you alright love?" She asked softly.

He glanced at her and smiled through tears. "Whenever she had a nightmare, I used to sing a song to help her relax. The song that she's singing now, is what I used to sing to her."

Nellies heart melted as she smiled warmly. When Melanie finished, the quietly opened the door, so as not to startle her.

"Melanie?" Sweeney called, making melanie gasp. "What the-" she fell out of her chair, not expecting them to come into the room.

"Shoot, shoot, shoot..." she said as she got up, feeling embarrassed. She dusted off her long nightgown, before looking at her parents.

They walked towards her, Sweeney trying not to show that he had been crying. But it was obvious.

Melanie raised an eyebrow. "Is... everything ok?" She asked. She didn't know they had been standing there, listening to her singing.

Sweeney cleared his throat. "Melanie... we... we heard you singing."

Melanie's whole face went red with embarrassment. She looked down, her hair covering her face. She wasn't expecting that. "Y-you did? H-how long were you listening?" She asked

Nellie looked at her, her eyes filled with awe and love. " a few minutes dearie."

Sweeney gently placed his thumb and index finger under her chin and lifted it up, looking into her eyes. "You don't need to feel embarrassed. It was absolutely beautiful. And also, I know what you were singing." His eyes welled up again.

"I-it's the song you always sang to me whenever I had a bad dream." She said as she looked at him.

He gently placed a hand on her cheek. "And it was perfect my lamb. Absolutely wonderful. You have the voice of an angel."

Nellie smiled warmly as she rested a hand on her shoulder. "Why didn't you tell us you could sing?" She said.

Melanie was still feeling embarrassed. But she had no reason to be. She had her mother's voice. "I-I don't know. I-I've always thought my singing wasn't as great as yours..."

They sat down on the edge of the bed, with Melanie in the middle. "Baby, you have an amazing voice. Don't be embarrassed about it." Nellie kissed her cheek as she rubbed her back.

She rested her head against nellies chest, Nellie wrapping her arms around her. Sweeney gently wrapped an arm around his wife while caressing the back of Melanie's head with his other hand.

"You should sing more often princess." Sweeney kissed her temple as they sat in each other's arms.

"O-okay. I will."