Chapter 1

Wren's POV

My 1st day of school. But today was special: today was my last first day of school. Senior year baby! And I was determined to make it at least bearable.

I had finally gotten used to high school in the way that I wasn't terrified to walk through the school doors every morning. Maybe it was the fact that I finally had a friend due to a bullying incident that happened in grade 11.

Lucas Appleby, the kid who came to school as a new student half way through the school year, was the natural target for school-wide bullies. Let's just say that being handcuffed to a picnic table in nothing but your underwear made Lucas a hot topic for gossip, and the star of everyone's Instagram feed that day. So instead of standing with the rest of the crowd and laughing at him, I picked the lock of the handcuffs and set him free. He has been my best friend ever since.

Now, on my 1st day of grade 12, I hopped into my little blue car and drove to pick up Lucas so we could face the wrath of high school together.

I pulled up to his house to see him waiting at the curb.

"Hey loner!", I called from the open car window. "Hop in!"

"You know, you really should be nicer to the guy who's paying for your lunch today", he said as he climbed in.

"Oh whatever. You know you love me", I teased.

He rolled is eyes and smiled, which was good enough for me. We had a certain understanding. He turned on the car radio to our favourite radio station.

"Good morning!", yelled the radio host. "Shoutout to all the students who are starting their first day of school today! Don't worry kids, only another 10 months till summer!".

I groaned and Lucas sighed as we both buckled up for one last year of high school.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Ready for another year of hell?" I asked Lucas as we approached the school's double doors.

"About as ready as you are", he answered.

"So not at all."

"Right."

"Come on, Lucas. One more year. Then we're done."

"Freedom", he said as we pushed through the doors. The hallways were crowded with kids who were hauling school supplies and sad faces to their lockers. Lucas and I had our lockers next to each other this year. As we started to fill our lockers, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out only to see the screen light up with a Google notification on Cameron Boyce. I hadn't spoken to him since I left LA a year ago but that doesn't mean I wasn't keeping tabs on him. I unlocked my phone to read the article and I immediately wished I hadn't.

The headline was enough to make me choke.

THIS JUST IN: Cameron Boyce charged for possession and use of marajuana and other illegal substances.

Under the headline was a picture of Cameron, but this picture didn't give me butterflies like other ones did. This one made me sad. I mean, how happy can you be when you're looking at Cameron Boyce's mugshot?

It had been known that Cameron was becoming Hollywood's bad boy, but this was crossing the line.

**************************

Hey readers!

I'm back from vacation, and I'm ready to continue writing! I'm pretty excited about this story so I hope you guys like it. Thanks for reading! Comments appreciated,

That_Epiphany