Chapter 16

Wren's POV

Today was the day. Graduation day. The day I had been looking forward to for the last 3 years. This day meant that I did it - I got through high school and I was moving on. Nothing could hold me back now. Not even Cameron.

I waited in line with Lucas to get our caps and gowns.

"I can't believe we're graduating", Lucas muttered as we slowly moved up in line.

"I know", I replied. "It's crazy."

"I love the fact that there's more after high school", he said. "Whatever 'more' is."

"It's different for everyone", I said.

"It's not different for us."

We smiled at each other because "more" was the same for Lucas and me. He had also gotten into Millennium College. We would be going together in the fall. Our futures really were bright, although I couldn't say the same for everyone.

Cameron's POV

Today was graduation day. The atmosphere was excited. Kids everywhere were discussing their futures, posting pictures on Instagram of their college acceptance letters. Everyone seemed to have their future planned out. They were all going where they wanted to go. They were all excited, embracing their futures with open arms. All except me of course.

My future was looking a lot like my past right now. I never got my acceptance letter from Millennium College. Graduation day was already here so I gave up hoping for my letter. Why hope for a letter that's never coming, right? 

That meant that I was going back to LA, my only other option. And I wasn't particularly excited about it.

After I got my cap and gown, I went to find my place in line which was ordered alphabetically. I guess I wasn't paying attention because I walked straight into a girl standing in line.

"Oh god, I'm sorry", I stammered. The girl turned around and I saw a very familiar face looking back at me.

"Oh, it's okay", Wren replied. We stood there awkwardly waiting for the other one to speak first. 

"Umm, how are you?", Wren finally asked.

"I'm good. Yeah. You?", I replied. 

"I'm good too."

More awkward silence...

"So I heard you got into Millennium", I said, trying to make conversation.

"Oh, yeah. I did", she answered. 

"That's good." The whole exchange was pained and forced and the fact that our relationship had come to this made me sad. 

"Yeah, umm did you get in anywhere?" She said it cautiously as if she knew the topic was touchy. Oh wait, it's Wren. Of course she knew. 

"No I didn't", I answered for the sake of conversation. 

"What are you doing next year then?"

"I'm going back to LA. Gonna start up my career again."

Her face fell and I could tell that she realized the reality of the situation. After graduation, I might never see her again.

"All students in line and ready for the ceremony to start", said the principle at the front of the room.

"I guess I better go", I mumbled.

"Yeah", she whispered. We stood and just looked at each other. That stare could have been revealing a million unsaid feelings but I blocked it all out. Leaving her would be a lot easier if there were no feelings.

After what felt like a lifetime, I turned to go, only to be stopped by her soft voice calling my name. 

"Cameron."

I turned around to see her.

"Good luck", she said with a sad smile on her face. I returned the smile and continued on my way.

Did she mean good luck at the grad ceremony or for the rest of my life? I guess I'd never know. It was all the same anyway.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

After a ceremony that went on way too long, I got in my yellow Jeep and drove home. As I walked through my house, something on the kitchen table caught my eye. A white envelope. I picked it up and read my own name on it. In the top corner was a stamp that I had been hoping to see for a while now. My breath hitched in my throat. 

This was a letter addressed to me from Millennium College. 

************************

Hey readers!

I'm so sorry for not updating lately. I just got back from vacation. First of all, I wanted to say thank you guys for reading. Both this story and my other one (the prequel, Just a Moment) have been doing really well and it was awesome to come back and see the spike in reads. Second of all, I would like to inform you guys that this story is not the end of Wren & Cameron. I will be writing another sequel called Just a Lifetime after this one is over. Thank you for reading!

That_Epiphany