Chapter 14

Cameron's POV

Rejected again. Over the past year I had become so used to doing the rejecting. Now, twice, I had been rejected by the same girl. Can't say that I missed the feeling.

On Monday, I went to school with a heavy heart. My black eye had pretty much healed, but there was still a shadow. I went straight for my locker and opened it. I heard footsteps approach me from behind and I turned around. I was expecting Tessa or even Jeff to be there, but it wasn't either of them. It was Wren.

"Hello", I muttered in a tired voice.

"First let me say that I'm sorry for being so rude the other day like I was. I was just overwhelmed. I needed to think about what you said." She launched into an explanation without even saying hello. The definition of "cut to the chase". 

"Wren-"

"Just let me get this out", she interrupted. "I'm sorry too. Our downfall was a 2-way street and it was my fault too."

"Wow Wren, that must have been hard for you", I replied as I shut my locker and prepared to walk away. "It's never easy for you to sink down my level like that."

"A simple "I forgive you" would have been fine", she said with an edgy tone in her voice.

"Yes, I suppose that response would have been fine."

"You don't forgive me?"

"I do, Wren. I did, a long time ago. But I can't keep waiting for you to come around like this. You don't know what you want and you're always changing your mind. You never stopped to consider that maybe what you want is right here. Me. But instead, you spent all your time hating me. You know who I am and you're constantly expecting me to change."

She flinched as if someone had flicked her in the forehead. But I wasn't done.

"And you know what, Wren?", I continued. "I would have changed for you. But I don't know who you want me to be. I don't know what you want. And honestly, I don't think you do either." 

I walked away and left her standing there, speechless. As I made the journey down the long hallway, I realized something. I realized that I love Wren and I had probably just made a big mistake. But I didn't turn back because I also knew that everything I'd said to her was true. And waiting for her was weighing me down. And clearly we were destined to be star-crossed. But I loved her, and maybe I just had to let it be for now.

*************************************

Hey guys,

I know this chapter is shorter, but nonetheless I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. Looks like both Wren and Cameron had a change of heart. Keep reading to see what happens next! 

That_Epiphany