Chapter 17

Cameron's POV

I hastily ripped the envelope open to reveal the letter. A million possibilities were running through my head but my mind settled on two: I either got into Millennium, or I didn't. 

Finally, I held the folded piece of paper in my trembling fingers. So much was riding on this. Talking to Wren at graduation made me realize how much I wanted to stay. Leaving would mean no academic future. No privacy. No Wren. Oh god, I loved her. 

Before unfolding the paper, I made a deal with myself. If I got in, I would go straight to Wren and try to salvage whatever was left of us. If I didn't get in, I would pack and go to LA without a word. 

After taking a deep breath, I unfolded the letter and read the first sentence. 

We are pleased to inform you that you have been chosen to attend Millennium College in the fall.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips and I knew exactly what I had to do. Without any hesitation, I got back in my Jeep and went to find Wren.

Wren's POV

"Congrats, Wren", Halley said as she hugged me. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks Halley", I said with a  smile. Halley took Penelope and they followed my parents into the house. Instead of going with them I sat on the front steps. 

I must have been sitting there for a long time because the sun was starting to go down. The pink and orange that flooded the sky was beautiful but I couldn't bring myself to appreciate it. I had spoken to Cameron for quite possibly the last time today and all I said was "good luck". 

This is hitting me harder than I thought it would, I thought to myself. I had spent so much time hating him that I forgot how I felt about him. Why did I push my feelings away? I had wanted to save myself but I got more hurt in the end. 

A single tear slid down my cheek but I quickly wiped it away. Crying wasn't going to bring him back. 

I got up and turned to go inside when I heard the obnoxious screech of tires on the pavement. I turned back around and saw a bright yellow Jeep pull into my driveway. I only knew one person pretentious enough to own a Jeep that color. 

Sure enough, Cameron stepped out. He looked excited and a little out of breath.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready to go to LA?", I called as I descended the front steps steps and came closer to him. 

"Yeah, if I was still going", he answered. He held up a piece of paper. A letter. "I got into Millennium."

"What about your acting career?"

"Who cares about my acting career? I definitely don't."

"You're really staying?", I asked, dumbstruck. 

"I couldn't leave if I tried." He looked at me with a face that I hadn't seen since I left him in the airport more than a year before. Love. "Actually, I couldn't leave you if I tried."

"Sure you could", I whispered.

"See, that's where you're wrong", he said, taking a step closer to me. He was close enough for me to reach out and touch him. "I was a mess when I got here. And you changed me yet again. I couldn't possibly let you go knowing what I know now."

"Cameron, there's so much more than this. The Great Perhaps. An adventure. A life-changing discovery. You won't find any of that here."

"Oh Wren", he said as he stepped forward to close the gap between us. He cupped my face in his hands. "Don't you get it? I've already found the Great Perhaps. I've already found my adventure. My life-changing discovery. It's you."

Then he kissed me and I kissed him back with every ounce of passion I had left. All the problems from the year before melted away. 

He was here. And he wasn't leaving. Sure, we were star-crossed but it was worth  it. And I realized that I would happily face a million moments of pain for one moment like this.

  The end.

****************************

Dear Readers,

This concludes Just a Year. I hope you guys liked it as much as I liked writing it. There are a couple things that I want to address though.

First- I want to say that Millennium College isn't an actual school. If there happens to be one somewhere in the world then that is purely coincidental. 

Second- the part about the Great Perhaps at the end of this chapter is inspired by the book Looking For Alaska by John Green. It's a really beautiful book and I would strongly recommend it. 

Third- I would like to remind you guys that I will be writing a sequel to this story. It will conclude the 3 part series that I have written on Wren & Cameron. I am hoping to get the first chapter up within the next couple weeks. 

Thanks for reading everyone! There's more to come. 

That_Epiphany