eight nil

It was game day. Our second of the tournament and against Norway. This was the first game I would be playing against club teammates, Maren and Guro.

Waking up this morning I sent Guro a message, excited to see her but of course the rivalry was on.

Guro 🦋

Good luck today my gal, no chance you're winning but you can hope 💙

Evan we don't need your luck! swap shirts with me after?

Course I will, see you soon x

I packed my bag for the day before going to breakfast as we would be leaving for Brighton straight after. Remembering the most important things such as my boots and shin pads, luckily everything else would be brought by the kitman.

"I'm going down for breakfast." I told Leah walking out the room.

"Wait!" I hear her faint voice.

She joggs out the room trailing her black duffel behind her.

"Can I join you?" She asks.

"I guess so." I smiled.

"Thanks for last night, I was hoping you wouldn't mention anything" Leah said.

"Mention what?" I winked.

"Thanks Evan."

"I'm so hungry, can't wait for breakfast." I said walking into the dining hall.

It was emptier than the last few days, clearly some people are having a lie in before the big day.

Grabbing a bowl of fruit and a couple of warm pancakes I sat at an empty table, pulling out my phone and pulling up the highlight from Norways first match against Northern Ireland who we would play next. They'd won 4-1 and Guro had scored, would be different today.

"Can I sit?" I heard.

Looking up I seen Leah's face, surprised I nodded and she sat next to me on the round table.

"What game is that?" She asked.

"Norways last, won 4-1, Guro scored and so did your teammate Frida." I told her.

"Analysing their tactics I like it. I think we'll be good with our team though, as much as our friends are good." Leah smiled.

"Yeah, i'm confident." I said throwing a piece of melon in my mouth.

——

"I'm not confident." I whispered to Millie as we sat in the dressing room ready to go out to the tunnel.

"Evan chill, we're fine. We're winning this game no matter what, and i'm confident you're scoring so come on let's go." Millie said shaking me as we walked out the room.

We stood for the national anthem and got into our team huddle, the crowd getting louder really amping us up.

"Go smash it." Leah knuckle bumps me on the way past to her position at the back of the pitch.

Taking a deep breath, the whistle was blown.

A penalty awarded in the 10th minute, and taken perfectly by Georgia sent us one nil up and immediately we switched on, realising we were winning this game.