spain

"The breaking news coming in this afternoon is that Evangeline Blair is not available for England tonight. It's speculated to be through injury after the news that Alexia Putellas is not available for Spain. We don't have exact details on who is filling in for her at this time, but Sarina Wiegman is at the press conference now." I hear from the tv, sky sports news is on. Just what I needed to be reminded of.

Walking down to press conference room I peak my head in to see Sarina and Leah sitting at the table with many cameras and people crowding the room.

"Sarina can you give us any details on the absence of Evangeline Blair?" A reporter asks.

"Yes Evangeline will miss tonight's game against Spain, Its a medical precaution but it's not through an injury and she will be back for any future games." Sarina explains.

"We've seen you have kept the same starting eleven throughout the tournament, who will be replacing Blair tonight?" Somebody else asks.

"Yes our team has been strong with those girls but everyone on the squad has the ability to step up and although there will be an earlier change I have great belief in the girls." Sarina tells him.

Leah caught me hiding behind the door and shakes her head at me, smiling. I take that as my opportunity to leave as I don't want anyone else to spot me. It was weird knowing you definitely weren't playing and watching everyone else get training kits and boots on.

"Less you excited to start." I asked her.

"Yeah I am but i'm nervous usually I come on for the last half hour at the most." Alessia says.

"You always make a difference Less, i'm so confident in you." I nudged her shoulder.

"Thanks Evan, sorry you can't play." She smiled softly.

"It's okay, I know you'll all smash it." I tell her seeing Ella come over.

I left them to talk before going and sitting with Sarina, watching her organise all the tactics for tonight's game. It felt strange not being with the girls but I knew I can't sit and disturb them as I wasn't even playing, so i've taken on the role as assistant coach for the night.

"Right Evan you're with me tonight. Let's go." Sarina says picking up all the clipboards and paper off the table.

I could hear the crowd outside already loud and creating a buzz, walking into the change room I could see all the girls in their kits and boots ready to line up outside.

"Ah here she is." Leah smiles trying to get the captain's armband up her arm.

"Let me help you." I said grabbing it and bringing it up to the edge of her jersey.

"You gonna sit on the bench? or in the stands." Leah asked me.

"As your assistant coach for the night i'll be as close as I possibly can." I laughed. "Right you need to go, go smash it."

I watched the girls walk down the tunnel and onto the pitch, holding each others shoulders as the national anthem played, no smiles just business.

"Come on girls." I yelled as they took their positions.

Spain had too many chances in the first half of the game, we had to switch on if we wanted to get any further in this competition. Mary had made some saves and Spain had more possession of the ball. Sitting next to Bethany on the bench I must have bit my bottom lip nearly off.

Ellen has got the ball in the net but she was offside, groaning into Beth's shoulder and just before half time Georgia is fouled and Mapi Leon gets a yellow. I've had my fair share of tackles from Mapi playing for Real Madrid last season, it was bittersweet seeing my old teammates such as Esther, Athenea and Misa but potentially knocking them out of a big tournament.