Chapter 64

- Chapter 64-

I heard rumours spreading around the castle by the servants of those from Locksley beings tossed out of their homes to make way for mercenaries. I couldn't believe that Guy would do such a thing. The Sheriff, well of course, he is a vile man capable of anything. I was able to get permission to leave the castle by the Sheriff to go to Locksley when I realised that Guy wasn't at the castle as often as he had been previously.

I was shocked when I arrived to the sight and seeing that the rumors by the servants were actually true.The mercenaries are turning the villagers out of their homes, riding around on horses and terrorising them. As I rode into the village I saw Guy standing outside his manor yelling furiously at Allan. Quickly dismounting as a stable boy came to me I quickly ran in their direction taking in the scene around me as I went.

"What's going on?!" I shout out a few paces away when I see Guy grab hold of Allan and raising his fist to strike him. When they turned in my direction I saw him hiss in Allan's ear before dropping him and letting him go.

"Why has the entire village been cleared?" I demand furiously once I have reached Guy.

"The village has been requisitioned for military purposes, Esme. You shouldn't have come here, not with these men here." He warned me as he made his way inside his manor with me following him. I could hear some concern in his voice but I was too frustrated to care.

" Because I am a woman? How about the women and the children who are being forced out of their homes?" I growl.

"There is nothing I can do! The Sheriff has ordered it. No arguments." Guy snapped as he made his way towards the church. I struggled to keep up with his pace as the mercenaries whistled in my direction causing me to crinkle my nose in disgust. Guy growled defensively placing a hand on my lower back and pushing me inside and slamming the door behind him.

"Not long ago you were willing to defy Prince John's men!" I reminded him once he turned to look at me.

"Yes, well, the situation has now changed." Guy responded as I scoffed.

"Because the Sheriff is back?" I questioned as I watched Guy sigh deeply and look away before placing his hands on the closed door hanging his head. Biting my lip I slowly walked up to him placing my hands on his stiff shoulders feeling him relax under my fingers.

"While he was gone, I thought I saw a different side to you, Guy. Kind... brave... I was mistaken." I whisper as he turned towards me cupping my face in his hands. When he didn't say anything in return I chuckled at my own stupidity before leaving. I got back on my horse and waited along the edge of the forest ready to watch Guy and Allan's next move. Then maybe Robin will help me.

I was beginning to get uncomfortable on my saddle when I noticed Allan leading Guy away from the camp into the forest. Raising an eyebrow I kept my distance and followed on after him. I was shocked and felt betrayed when I saw that Allan had led Guy to the outlaw's food store. I watched as the guards began taking the sacks of grain and meat before taking them back to Locksley to feed the mercenaries. Pulling on the reigns a hard left I drove my horse deeper into the forest letting out a whistle. It wasn't long before Robin arrived as I tied my horse to a tree and hugged him tightly.

"Oh, I've missed you." He smiled spinning me as I let out a slight squeal.

"Do you know what's happening in Locksley?" I asked him nervous as he placed me back on my feet.

"What do you mean?" Robin asked shaking his head.

"Gisborne's turned all the villagers out. He's made it a garrison for his mercenaries." I informed him as I saw shock and horror flood through his eyes.

"What about the people? Where are the villagers?" He asked concerned like every Lord would over their village.

"In the forest... or with families from other villages..." I spoke uncertain as I hoped that they were alright.

"Right. Well, we'll get food to them." He began positively as I shook my head letting out a frustrated breath.

"You can't. Allan told Gisborne about the secret food store and he's taken everything." I grumble as he spun on his heels furious.

"What?!"

"But if we move now we could take the garrison by surprise." I informed him

"I know, but... we can't. Not just yet." He whispered as he didn't look at me causing me to frown.

"Why not?"

"We've had word from the King, Esme. Now I promise I'll restore Locksley, but I can't until we complete this mission." He informed me as I was in awe that the King was in contact with Robin yet frustrated that I meant Robin wouldn't be helping his people.

"And what are the villagers supposed to do in the meantime?" I questioned.

"You know I would go to them if I could. King Richard needs me now more than ever." Robin informed as I refused to look at him disappointed that we wouldn't be working together. I silently untied my horse and mounted before Robin grabbed hold of my reins preventing me from moving.

"Esme...Promise me you won't do anything in Locksley alone.. Esme!" He demands as I roll my eyes and scoff. I wasn't that stupid Robin.

"I promise. I promise I won't do anything." I responded as Robin gave me a pointed look before turning off to rejoin his gang. Sighing I began my trip back to the castle only to have my horse jump on its hind legs startled sending me to the floor with a thud.

"Hello dearie. I have a little job for you"