Chapter 3

"Esme, would you please stop pacing like that" My father begged as I just sighed and sat down frustrated. We had been waiting for half an hour, I was tired, and I wanted to make sure Robin was ok. My father and I have been awake in our house waiting for Robin and Much to arrive. So far no luck, I got up and was about to head up the stairs to get some rest before a soft knock came on our door, as a smile escaped on my lips.

I made my way to the door, as my father stood up and nodded before I pulled on the handle to see a tired looking Robin and Much. I stood out of the doorway and quickly looked down the street, to ensure no one had followed them to see them both just staring at me.

"Well? Don’t just stand there. If the sheriff’s men see…" I whispered before Robin cut me off. Man I hated it when he did that.

"What? You might give them the pleasure of your company?" He teased me as I scowled.

"Grow up." I hissed before I went inside and they followed me. I locked the door behind us, as I turned to see my father smiling as he embraced Robin in a warming hug. I gave Robin a smile and hugged him and Much as Robin winked playfully like he always used to I stuck out my tongue scrunching up my face at him like old times as we chuckled. We made our way to the Hall where my father and Robin sat, and Much and I stood beside our master or parent.

"Forgive me; I could not welcome you before." My father apologized as Robin just nodded and smiled.

"How did this monster become sheriff?" He questioned leaning forward in his seat eager.

"I did not watch my back. Prince John gives out the shires in his brother’s absence. My bid was not accepted." My father told bitterly as I placed a hand on his shoulder. He rubbed my soft hand with his wrinkled rough thumb, before he let his hand slid back down onto his arm rest as Robin sighed and hung his head before looking back up at my father once more.

"What can be done?" He asked as you could see in his eyes he was desperate to help England.

"I can do nothing. I’m watched. And I must think of my daughter. When I do speak out, no one listens. Robin, it is down to you, my friend."My father explained as I sighed quietly and looked away towards the quiet fire. It's soft red embers glowing as the gold flames flickered elegantly.

"Well, what can we do?" Much questioned as I saw he had not yet comprehend the situation as I gave a small smirk. Oh Much, always a tad behind just like before. You haven’t changed, beside getting older and taller, he was still the same Much that I knew.

"Play Nottingham’s game. Speak to the lords. Slowly you can turn them. Do not make the mistake I and others have made and make your decent public. Consolidate your position quietly." My father advised as I fiddled with the long sleeves of my dress that I was still uncomfortably wearing.

"I do not have time. Tomorrow I am tore the hanging of four of my own peasants." Robin announced as my head snapped towards him. Four? I thought it was only three?

"It will be the long game, I’m afraid." My father told him as I felt my heart drop down into my stomach. I feel so bad for Dan Scarlett, he had lost his wife and now he is going to lose both of his sons. He doesn't deserve this, he is a good man fighting hard for his family.