Chapter 21

Back at Knighton Hall. Gisborne faces Edward across the table, both seated. Gisborne is patiently holding in his temper, but not his contempt. Gisborne is currently eating food that was offered to him.

"What do you want?" Edward asked him.

"Maybe some salt." Guy asked as he spits food out onto his plate.

"Where’s Esme?" Edward asked slightly concerned for his daughter. He didn’t know if he had done anything to her.

"Good question." Guy sneered.

"If you’ve hurt her... if you’ve done anything to her..." Edward tried as Guy looked up at him un amused.

"You’ll what?" Guy asked him acidly as Edward stares at him. They both heard the sound of a distraught horse outside as Edward rose to his feet, followed by a loud thud. Edward swung the door open, as Guy followed him. Guy tried not to show concern but it horrified him and made his heart break. Edward went to his daughter side as she laid coughing on her back.

"Esme!" He cried to her. He gasped, she was cut on her left cheek. A gash cutting through her shirt on her side from the arrow, was still bleeding. The back of her white shirt was stained red, from the evident signs of whipping, revealing her past scars as well, causing Guy's heart to stop. Cuts were evident also through her ripped leather pants. Her hair was messy and stuck to her forehead.

Bruising was forming over her chest from several kicks. She had been lucky to escape when they weren't looking. Tears were stained on her cheeks, as her father helped her weakly to her feet.

"Who did this to you?" He asked her worried as she shook her head unable to speak. She glanced up at the frozen Guy standing in the doorway before she stood up straight, baring through all the pain and walked inside. Her body aching as Edward was always wondering how his daughter could do this.

"Sir Guy. We were not expecting you." She spoke her voice rigid at first. They were all inside once again, as Guy was fighting himself on whether or not to send for a physician or to accuse her of betrayal.

"I know! Sorry. I just popped in for a little chat. Where have you been?" He asked her as she looked away.

"At the hanging. Can we get you something to drink?" She offered as she leant against the table weak, pain aching through her muscles, as she tried to fight the pain from overwhelming her.

"I don’t think so. Show me your necklace." He whispered to her as she looked up at him innocently, even though he could read the pain she was trying to hide.

"What necklace?" She asked breathless as Edward went over to Gisborne.

"If I may say, Sir Guy—" Edward tried to reason before Gisborne furiously backslaps Edward. Esme is shocked. Edward was going to beg to send for a physician.

"Show me your necklace!" Guy ordered her as Esme looked at Guy fearful now.