Chapter 8

It had been probably two hours after Guy had ensured that Esme rested in bed. He was making his way through the corridors of the castle, to see if she needed anything and that she was ok. But as he came closer to her room, the sound of a piercing scream made him freeze and draw his sword.

"ESME!" He shouted as he ran to her door and barged in. Guy found her sobbing and crying out, her eyes squinted shut, her hands gripping the sheets to her bed. Her forehead beading with sweat as he dropped the sword and ran to her side by the bed. He gently grabbed hold of her arms and shook her trying to wake her.

"Esme? Esme!" He called out, until she eventually opened her eyes frightened, tears streaming down her cheeks, her breathing uneven and shaky, as she held onto him for dear life. Guy pulled her into a hug, as he could feel her shaking with fear against his body. He patted her hair and rocked her back and forth as she soon began to calm down.

"Nothing will hurt you now" He kept whispering to her, as she clutched onto him tightly, afraid that if she let go she would never be alright again. Guy's heart skipped a beat with how close he was to her. His hand trailed slowly down to her waist as she hissed and straightened as Guy pulled away realizing he must have accidently brushed against her wound.

"I'm sorry" He told her as she shook her head and brushed away her tears from her face as she sniffled a few times.

"No, you didn’t mean to. I'm going to get some fresh air" She spoke as her hair fell elegantly down her back as she slowly got up from her bed.

"Shall I come with you?" Guy asked hoping she would want his company.

"No thank you, I think I need to be alone for a little while" She smiled, before leaving her room, and finding a balcony where she took in deep breaths as if she would never breath again if she didn’t calm down her frightened body and mind.

*************

As I walked around the castle for a while, I started to feel my head begin to clear. I breathed in the fresh air happily. My scar on my right hand side wasn't that painful now, as it was healing on its own. I kept walking down the corridor, hoping I would find Joe, until I was stopped by one of the guards.

"Sorry, my lady, you can’t come through here. " He instructed me as I sighed.

"I’ve come to see Sergeant Lacey." I informed him before I saw another shadow appear to see it was Joe Lacey, with his bow and sheath full of arrows.

"I’ll deal with this. You shouldn’t be here, Esme. It’s not safe and you should be resting" He told me as I rolled my eyes as he chuckled quietly.

"I know, thank you and it seems word travels fast" I muttered annoyed before I glanced around at the quiet corridor.

"It’s all right." Joe told me as if to comfort me, however I looked at him shifting my weight to my other foot as I shook my head slightly.

"It’s not, though, is it?" I asked as he sighed and shook his head.