Chapter 48

- Chapter 48 -

I remained in my room lying on my bed as tears ran down my face as I heard a knock on my door causing me to lift up my head.

"Esme?" I heard Guy call out from behind the door as I leap off my bed trying to hold back sobs as I rush to the door to ensure he doesn't come in.

"Go away." I begged in tears as I latch the door and grab the handle to keep Guy from turning it as he tried to open the door.

"I cannot talk to you through the door." He whispered sadly.

"Well then, you cannot talk to me at all." I responded back broken and numb.

"I just wanted to apologise... for what happened today, the way the Sheriff treated you." He whispered sadly as I could hear the guilt in his words.

"Am I to perform like a monkey whilst my father starves in the dungeon?" I questioned bitterly as I let my body sag against the wood of the door exhausted.

"No. I will see to it that your father is properly fed." He promised as I scoffed.

"Really? And what do you want in return?" I bitterly questioned as I had gathered nowadays he that there was always a catch in our relationship which I hated. I wished we didn't have the barrier of my own foolishness from before.

"Nothing. You have my word." He gently spoke as I felt his words seem to caress me as I smiled softly.

"Then thank you." I whispered.

"Esme, please... let me in." He begged slightly his voice going deeper and huskier as I removed myself from the door and let him slowly turn the door handle. I kept my back to him as he closed the door behind him making me turn around as his eyes and face soften to my discomfort and tears as he could see just how broken and numb I was.

"Oh Esme" His soft tender voice just made the tears begin to flow once more as he was by my side in two long strides before his strong arms embraced me as I clutched to him tightly as he stroked my hair.

"He was family Guy.....And he's gone....he....did so much for me.....and...he...he's gone" I sobbed as he held me closer to him tighter as I squeezed my eyes shut trying to remove the image of the sword being driven into him. Why couldn't he have been quiet for once? Why did he have to take on the Sheriff. What about Luke or Will, they still needed their father and now he's gone. In some way I still needed him but I couldn't reach him now. I pray that God guides him to heaven.

"Shhh" Guy soothingly whispered as I felt his warm breath trickle on my cheeks and neck making my stomach turn and heart flutter.

"Forgive me Guy. Please forgive me" I begged as I looked up at him as I could see him trying to comprehend the confusion. I needed his forgiveness of that day at the church, it's been eating me away.

"There is nothing you have...."

"I never meant to hurt you, I never wanted to hurt you, I -" I tried to speak cutting him off only to have him silence me by placing him warm lips over mine. My eyes closed instantly as I melted to his touch smiling slightly before he pulled away. It was too brief as I mentally groaned before he rested his forehead against mine and stroked my left cheek.

"It should be I, begging for your forgiveness Esme." His voice was huskier as it made me shiver as I could see the passion in his eyes making me smile before a sudden knock came on the door making him mask his feelings behind his magnificent blue eyes once more as he straightened his posture and dropped his hands from my face making me suddenly disappointed and desperate for his touch.

"My Lady?"

"I will leave you...Esme would you....would you ride with me? Later?" He asked me nervously once he had reached the door as my heart was beating loudly at the notion he wanted to spend time with me once more. I was about to squeal for joy of being away from the castle when I suddenly frowned at realization.