Chapter 51

Chapter 51

It was market day in Nottingham Town, perfect for when wanting to follow someone, it means you have more coverage. I kept a fair distance as I followed Guy who strides down the street. I follow him at a distance before I stupidly looks back for a moment and run into a man, who grunts.

"Oh, sorry." He apologized as I ignore him and quickly ducks behind a merchant’s table as I saw Guy slowly turns around and raises his eyebrows in annoyed patience. I was worried for a brief moment that he knew that I was following him but then he continues on his way. Letting out a held breath I stand up and making sure my hood covers my face and then resumes my pursuit.

I noticed that Guy had entered the Jerusalem Inn. Making my way after him I easily snuck in and made my way around the edges of the inn to ensure that Guy didn't see me. Keeping hold of my hood and making sure that my hair was tucked in I had my back pressed against the back of a post as I turned slowly to see Guy making his way through the patrons to the serving main Joan.

"Well?" Guy quizzed impatient.

"Hasn't been in yet. Must be held up" She replied as she clears a few tables.

"When he finally arrives, give him this for delivering Henry. Tell him it’s silver, not gold, because the goods were damaged." Guy states as I scowl at the conversation to see Guy hand her a small bag full of coins. I noticed that Joan clears her throat whilst Guy holds up a coin to her, and she takes it.

"Thank you." She smirks before I see Guy easily leave making me quickly sneak back out. I knew that Robin would still be around somewhere in the marketplace away from the castle. However it would be just a matter of finding him as I caught a glimpse of his cloak. Smiling I dashed on after him as I grabbed hold of him pulling him to the side.

"Robin! Henry?" I ask.

"He’s silenced, but only temporarily." He states.

"You were right. You have a spy. I followed Gisborne to the Trip Inn. Whoever he was meeting didn't come, but a serving maid knew him and he left money with her. I heard them mention Henry, but I couldn't hear any other names" I inform him as Robin gazes over my shoulder, still listening, thinking whilst leaning on a washing line post near the well.

"That’s payment for Henry’s arrival. Who is it, Esme? Who would betray me?" He spoke softly as I shrug as a moment of silence passes before I see Robin stiffen as he was staring at something over my shoulder.

"There’s Gisborne." He warns as I nod as we both make our separate directions. Hurrying behind a shop, I then turn down a tunnel towards the market, pushing back my hood.

*************

Unbeknownst to Esme, Gisborne is waiting in front of the building with his back pressed against the wall and arms folded, waiting for her to come into the clearing.

"Hello dearie!" An unpleasant voice hisses as he appears in front of Esme causing her to gasp in fright. Guy watches sword drawn as she is backed up against the post.

"You!" She whispered breathless and frightened, causing Guy to stop and watch uneasy

"Be careful dearie, I'm coming for you and this time you won't get away and your friend in leather won't be able to protect you either" He warns her as she looks away from him. He disappears and Esme takes a moment to regain her composure before Esme exits the tunnel past him, looking to her left towards the castle for him.

*************

"Esme." I hear my voice being called out as I could hear patient annoyance in the tone. However the deep tone caused a shiver to run down my spine.

"Guy." I stop in a panic, and then I quickly regain my composure and turns around.

"You've been following me."

"Me?" I innocently state as I skip slowly towards Guy as I could see a slight hint of amusement in his eye.

"Don’t deny it."

"No, I—"

"I saw you by the stall earlier, now here. Coincidence?"

"I was only—"

"I don’t think so."

"But I just—"

"You disobeyed me." He states disappointed as I bite my lower lip.

"Guy, please! Let me explain. You don’t understand. Punish me, but do not punish my father." I begged hurriedly as I saw honest puzzlement flash across his face.

"Punish you? Why would I punish you?" He asks as I could hear a hint of hurt flash in his voice as I suddenly realize that I haves said too much.

"What have you been doing?" He questions me suspiciously.

"Well, I thought since last time I disobeyed the Sheriff....." I innocently began as I knew that I had to make myself seem like an innocent who had learnt from her previous punishment.

"I am not the Sheriff....You would think I'd have you punished?" He told me hurt as I glanced down unable to look at him.

"Well I've known that things haven't been well between us.....Forgive me. I just wanted to spend time with you." I spoke sadly as I admit that I hated the void between us.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Well, I’m honoured, Esme...but I told you I was on business." Guy honestly states as I give him a small smile.

"Well, it won’t happen again." I promise as he offers me his arm as my smile automatically grows brighter as I accept it willingly.

"Shall we?" He smirks as I slip my arm through his and we walk off to the castle as I swear I saw Robin scowling at us jealously biting his lip, though it was only for a brief moment. Once we arrived at the castle I see two horses waiting for us as I look towards Guy puzzled.

"I believe I promised you a ride" He gives me a true smile as I let out a small squeal before we mounted the horses. I heard Guy chuckle as I felt my heart flutter to his deep voice as it sounded so genuine. Maybe just maybe he still loved me, I could only hope….