Chapter 12

Down the road from the mine, Brooker sits on the seat of the wagon with his hands tied above him to the cage. Much watches him as Robin, Little John and Will, kneeling on top of the rise, watch the guards being put through their paces by the sergeant.

"We send Brooker in. When the Sheriff and Gisborne leave for Nottingham, Allan does his thing, and then we strike." Robin told them all of the plan. Robin turns to Will, then they get up and go back to the wagon. Over the rise from the mine. The gang gather round Brooker as Djaq stands at the back of the cage and Robin relays directions to the slave dealer.

"Now, this is what we do. You sell your prisoners to the Sheriff, just as you planned. Allan will be right behind you, disguised as a prisoner. If you give us away, be warned: we may have to review our policy on throatslitting." He warned him as Brooker nodded, knowing what it was he had to do.

"Fire! There’s a fire!" Little John shout out as they all race to the back of the wagon where the rope fastening the door closed is burning. Will suspects it was Djaq, who looks guiltily away. Much gasps, horrified.

"Punishment from God! It’s all my fault!" Much was pleading up towards the sky as Will pulls the rope off as Much continues to repent. "Oh, I’m sorry, Lord! I do believe, I do!"

"Much, will you shut up?" Allan snapped at him as Much gave him a dirty look. As the rope drops down, Djaq tries to open the door but Little John holds it closed.

"How did you light that fire?" Robin demanded from Djaq as he banged against the doors to their cage.

"Let us go!" Djaq demanded.

"We are trying to help you!" Robin informed.

"You’ve stolen us to sell to another. You’re no better than him!" Djaq hissed at Robin as Robin sighed.

"Please, let me explain. Then if you do not wish to help us, then you are free to go. You have my word." Robin told Djaq as Djaq fell silent. "What is your name?"

"Djaq." There was a long pause before Djaq asked Robin, as Robin nodded.

"Djaq. We will help you escape. But if you leave now, the Sheriff will still need workers for his mine. More prisoners will arrive next month. People like you. We are going to destroy the mine but we need your help." Robin explained however Djaq just watched Robin cautiously.

"How will you help us escape?" Djaq questioned as Robin gave a small smile, knowing that they were finally going somewhere.

"The Sheriff will pay for you. And we will give you the money, and we will guide you to the people who will find you a safe passage to the port." Robin stated as Djaq growled angrily towards Robin.

"You made us the enemy, and now you play protector?" Djaq snapped as Robin glances away, frustrated. "And ask for our help?"

"Opens the door to the wagon. Let them decide. If you want to take your chance with freedom now, then go." Robin snapped defeated as he opened the cage door for them all to get out. However none of them moved. One of the prisoners speaks Arabic to Djaq.