Chapter 15

It was mid afternoon as I rode towards my home. My hair bouncing off my shoulders, the breeze kissing my cheeks, I panted slightly as I drew my horse to a halt. I felt free, not that I enjoyed comfort in the woods, I don't think I ever could, even though it fascinated me. I guess scars of the past can never truly heal. I was wearing my blood red riding top, black leather pants and boots, before I urged my horse forward.

The chimney was giving off a soft smoke as I came closer to my home. I smiled slightly as it meant my father would be awake. Probably finishing his morning meal, before taking his usual stroll around Knighton grounds like he did every morning for the fresh air. I dismounted my horse, before guiding him to the stables, where I gave him a soft brush, before I made my way back round the front. As I was walking I was visualizing a few fight routines in my head as I made small gestures with my hands.

"Esme!" I heard my father shout as my hands dropped to my sides. I frowned slightly as my father came round the corner with Guy not that far behind him. When he saw me he gave a small smirk as I bit my inner lip as he looked me up and down. My father uncomfortably stood where he was as Guy made his way towards me, following me into the house as I took a seat in the main room, with Guy standing a few feet in front of me.

"Forgive me, I do not have as much time as I planned. I have a gift for you." He told me as he handed me a velvet bag. I hesitantly took it with a small smile, when on the inside I was rolling my eyes.

"Sir Guy, you bring too many gifts." I told him, as I opened it up to reveal a broach with silver and gold. I gave a sigh looking at the jewel in my fingers feeling the weight. This would have cost a fourtune.

"My mother used to say... if you have wronged somebody, or if they’re upset, do not be proud, offer them friendship. If they reject you, offer a second time and a third until they accept. And that is what I intend to do with you." He smirked at me taking a step forward as I quickly and carefully placed the broach back into the back and held it out for him.

"Please. I do not need gifts." I spoke plainly as I watched his emotion go from the famous smirk to being offended as he reluctantly took the bag from my fingers.

"No. You need a husband." He told me as I just stared at him, biting my tongue. How I wished I could have insulted him then and there but I unfortunately knew my place. His gaze was strong as I looked over his shoulder before back to his piercing blue eyes.

"This world is not safe for a woman alone." He added once more slightly softer as all I could do was staring at him. I didn't trust my mouth to say anything polite. "Outlaws." He whispered softly as I sighed annoyed.

"I can protect myself." I stated as he rolled his eyes.

"Even pilgrims. There’s an abbess at Nottingham half dead. I must tend to her." Guy scoffed as I smirked on the inside. This was the perfect opportunity to send Guy away from my sight, as I waited for a moment before I stood up in my seat facing him. I could see slight confusion on his face as he watched me curiously.

"Then I would not delay you." I informed him innocently with a small smile, as he gave a silent growl.