Chapter 27

I rode my way to Bonchurch Lodge. Outside I could hear pipes playing and voices chatting merrily, I could see that Much was feeding the poor like Robin had done at Locksley when he returned home. A small smile escaped on my lips as a stable boy collected my horse. Dismounting I made my way towards the house, I was tired, I hadn't seen my father all day, I was still upset with what had happened with Lambert.

When I walked inside I saw Much and the servant girl Eve smiling at each other as I walked over to them. Much was slightly surprised to see me as Eve gave me a quick curtsy dropping her gaze to the floor, before she left us be.

"Lady Esme." Much smiled as I nodded to him.

"I should like to speak with you in private, Lord Much." My voice was emotionless and I knew that Much noticed as he frowned slightly.

"Of course." He told me as Much heads for the door. Before following him, I quickly looked around for Eve, but I couldn't see her amid the peasants. I sighed and followed Much into his stables as I began telling him the plan as we made sure to keep our voices in nothing but a whisper.

"Look, we need you to tell the girl that the ledger is in the third barrel of black powder." I whispered.

"But that’s not true. Robin has the ledger. He told me himself." Much defended as I raised an eyebrow.

"What is the problem?"

"I will not lie to Eve. I cannot." Much grumbled as I was ready to slap him.

"Oh, of course, you are fooled by her. She has to be nice to you. She is paid for it. Grow up." I snapped annoyed. How could Much fall for her he must have known she is working for the Sheriff it is as clear as water.

"If she passes on wrong information to the Sheriff, then he will punish her." Much informed me worried for her but right not I didn't care.

"If she’s working for the Sheriff, then she deserves no less. A good man has already died over this." I told him bitterly as I noticed movement and glance at the door, but sees nothing. Eve she must have been listening in.

"Just do as Robin says and tell the girl" I whispered before I mounted my horse and made my way home. My father wasn't improving; I had nothing to eat that night for I wasn't hungry. I was told he had been asking for me all day and that Guy had come to visit me as well. I kissed my father's head before I went to bed. I glanced at myself in the mirror, watching the glistening ring on my finger. Furious I slipped it off and placed it on my bedside table. I blew out my candle as I fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke the next morning I washed and got dressed in a forest green riding dress. I let Anne braid my hair, my eye stuck on the betrothal ring, I didn't put it on my finger, I felt dishonest wearing it. When I walked from the dining room towards my father's chambers I noticed the physician about to go inside.

"Lady Esme" He greeted as I gave a small smile.

"How is he?" I asked worried his fever hadn't broken and I felt useless unable to help him.

"Still fighting this fever, May I ask after yourself Lady Esme, you were badly wounded" He asked as my back stiffened. I hadn't had to think about that incident in the woods for a while, nor did I wish to remember.